eighteen

|Now y'all. Forgive my illiterate ass, I don't know anything about basketball lmao I'm just legit recalling all the forced knowledge my gym professor gave me in eighth grade and i kind of referenced that in here lol don't judge me |

For the next two minutes I make my way up to the fourth floor, my chest tightening on each step as I heave for air. I wasn't really a stairs person, and I should've thought of that before I dove into the task. Mr. Styles on the other hand didn't budge and continued behind me, making small talk every now and then I couldn't care less to reply to. "You know, I think you haven't quite read all of Sea Sides." He comments as I struggle to grasp consciousness. "It's not sappy."

"It's a Y.A romance novel. I'm pretty sure it's a requirement for them to be sappy." I breath, holding onto the staircase for dear life.

"No, I'm telling you, Cass, it's more than that." He insists. "I can't tell you anything, it would spoil the whole book if you didn't finish it."

I was way too caught up with the stairs to even consider listening. Other students passing by giggled at the sight of him before greeting him in unison and he politely returns their greetings. By the time we've reached the fourth floor, I was panting like a dog, my limbs swelling in exhaustion. I take a break against a wall through the halls, leaning my head against it as air rips into my nostrils, stinging my sinuses. It took me a moment to realize; the corridors outside the gym was teeming with people; students and outsiders. Bill must be somewhere in the gymnasium.

"Do you want to take a break?" Harry places a hand on my shoulder, towering over me with concern in his eyes.

"No, no, it's fine I can take it from here." I shook my head, sinking my hand onto my knees. As far as I could remember, I didn't have asthma or any sort of breathing problem, but as of right then and there the amount of air my lungs were lacking made me feel like I was standing over a cliff. Perhaps it had something to do with my disorientation on whatever the fuck is happening and the lack of sleep.

"Here." He says, handing me a water bottle as he rummaged through his satchel.

I didn't think twice and quickly snatched it off his hand, popping off the cap. I took a swig, the cold water washing through my insides and I didn't do anything else but cherish every last drop. By the time I've finished, I've fully recovered, my mouth has squeezed the life out of the plastic and Harry took it back, his eyes wide as the bottle dangled off his fingers. "Thanks." I belched shamelessly, giving a pat on the back while he pondered still over the empty water bottle. I begin making my way to the gymnasium which was at the end of the corridor, following the trail of people still entering.

"Wait, Cassandra!" Of all the noises in the hallway, one stood out. I've been hearing my name since last night, I was getting tired of the sound of it. I turn back around, Harry's tall figure running towards my direction. "Will I see you in my class?" He mumbles, his gaze never leaving me as he stuffed his papers into his bag. Only then did I realize how thick his accent was. When I first met him I didn't even realize he was British, not that it mattered or anything. I've encountered my fair share of foreign teachers who had accents that made it difficult for me to understand them before. Hell I had a Scottish teacher who taught French and for the whole year I didn't understand shit.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Of course." I scoff like doing otherwise was an impossibility. Honestly I didn't know. I had no idea, I didn't even know what the fuck just happened to me outside when my glasses cracked under that guy’s wheels. If i had a choice i’s just go home and let Bill do whatever the fuck he wants to do this time; but I couldn’t. I can’t sleep with the uncertainty of not knowing what Stella did this time, and if it’s actually good for once, I wouldn’t want to miss it. School and academics were the last things in my mind at the moment. Even if it's his class and I was genuinely beginning to feel awkward around him, I wasn't as pathetic as Stella sees me to be.