[Chapter 19, Preparing for negotiations]

Start from the beginning

The problem lay in the fact that they not only looked like carnivores.

They are carnivores.

So instead of bringing along meat to keep them fed, since you can't really travel with fresh meat if you have to feed these beasts and carry more supplies, you go hunting and feed them whatever the hell you manage to kill. Since the worst thing to do is let these beasts hunt for themselves.

While Alyssa and I walked up, three of the Velcik drakes shook their heads in annoyance as they saw the dire wolves that accompanied us.

They were on even levels of power when compared, a dire wolf and a Velcik drake.

The big difference here being, the drakes are locked in pens.

"Ooh, M'lord, M'lady. How may ol' Khusz 'orncleav'r be'f service?" The short kobold spoke as he came walking from the backside of the stable. His hands were covered in deep crimson as he walked past the stables with eating drakes.

"Me 'pologies fer look'n' such a mess. Me been busy feedin' da drakes..." He replied as he noticed his hands and took a ragged towel from a bench near the gate to the stable. Wiping the blood off his hands and arms, the color only deepened as his dark grey, nigh black scales on his arms and hands became visible again.

"We are in need of a supply of Velcik drakes to pull quite to load for a long journey that came up unexpectedly. I may need more than just the ones for pulling the carriage." I spoke and Alyssa knelt next to the short scaled figure.

[Alyssa's perspective]

"Khusz, you don't happen to have a few extra that have been saddle trained?" I asked the kobold; his eyes grew at my request.

He jumped from one foot to the other a few times and chimed.

"Do M'lady and M'lord wish to mount me pr'cious velciks... I be hon'red by such gen'ros'ty!" The jumping kobold was actually a cute thing to see, if you take out of account that most people avoid this entire place because of him, and not the drakes.

Kobolds unfortunately have a bit of a bad name as a race, but they are simple descendants of dragons, like the gnomes of the dragonkin. Too bad I can't exactly tell this fun guy where his drakes will be going.

"Khusz has five da be saddle ready. Juz need da saddles d'livered so lil' ol' me can prep 'em fer travel." He spoke and his poor articulation grew even worse as the man grew more enthusiastic as this conversation rolled on.

With a brief glance, I looked up at Padge who stood next to me and Khusz confused.

With a nod he spoke, "We will have the five saddles sent here, we need all the Velcik drakes ready to depart three mornings from now."

With the drake mounts for Padge, myself and three of Padge's secret 'special forces' guards reserved, we left the Drake Stables again while holding hands.

Although we are the rulers of this country, the people are used to seeing me and Padge holding hands as we walk through the city. But I felt a slight unease in Padge's pace and stopped him a little distance from the Drake Stable.

"What's wrong Baby. You seem off somehow..." I asked him and he shook his head. "I didn't know you dealt so well with kobolds... I'm honestly a little surprised at how the exchange went." He replied shaking his head in confusion and I could only smile.

"I guess you haven't been the popular and shy girl in town huh...? I used to hide at his stable when I was a little girl and didn't want everyone to know where I was. So I guess he's kind of a weird childhood friend.