chapter 37 hospitals

Camp was quiet, too quiet, I snuck out of my camper waiting for the 6 am air horn or helicopter but nothing came screeching and jolting us out of our beds. "This never happens, what is Chris up to?" I questioned while looking towards the group of cars that pulled into the film lot.

Chris climbed out of a shiny black gallant. He stood straight and smoothed out his clothes. "Kayleigh, just the girl I needed to see."

I was shocked, had I done something wrong? Was I going back to juvy? "W-what's going on?" I questioned nervously.

"It's your sister veronica, she had a mild seizure at 2 am last night. She is currently in critical condition, they have found 2 small tumors in her brain and they don't think she will be able to make it through the night. I'm sorry." My family's doctor stepped forward and told me.

My whole world came crashing down. Me and Ronnie may not get along but I still love her with all of my heart. I couldn't imagine living my life without the blonde nuisance. I fell to my knees silent tears running down my face. Until I started screaming. I screamed until my throat burned. And even when I couldn't scream anymore I started pounding my fists onto the ground. I kept pounding my fists hard onto the ground til I couldn't feel the pain anymore. They were numb but I kept pounding the ground as if it would solve all of my problems. Blood kept leaking out of my hands and when my family doctor stepped forward to help I growled in a voice that didn't sound like my own. "STAY THE HE'LL AWAY FROM ME." I know it wasn't his fault but I couldn't have anyone near me. I needed space. I fell to the ground sobbing uncontrollably.

When I had finally started to calm down I felt a pair off arms wrap around me. I started pounding my bloody fists into the person's chest. They needed to let me go, I couldn't breathe. "Woah, hey calm down it's just me Kayleigh, what happened? Was it Chris? Do I need to kick somebody's Ass? " Duncan's voice said and I slowly started to calm down looking up at the only person I could bare to be around.

"Veronica is in critical condition, they don't think she will make it through the night." I sobbed.

Duncan's jaw dropped. He hugged me tight before looking at the blood on his shirt. There was alot of it. He slowly inspected my hands. My knuckles were covered in small scrapes but along my wrist was a long slit. I must have caught it on something when I was pounding the ground.

"Nurse, doctor somebody she needs medical attention" Duncan said to the people who were standing around the cars waiting for me to calm down.

Dr.Asami stepped forward with her first aid kit. She slowly cleaned the cuts and scrapes with rubbing alcohol before bandaging them up. "Kayleigh you have two options. Chris has okayed them and will let you do either one. Option 1 you can visit your sister with someone of your choice and if she passes go to the funeral then quit and send the other person back to the game. Or option 2 you can visit her with a friend, attend the funeral If there is one and come back to the competion. You don't have to decide now on what you will do but your mother and sister want you to come with us now to make sure you can say goodbye if necessary."

"I'll make my choice later" I replied in a hoarse voice. "I need to go pack in case I decide not to come back" I said while silent tears poored down my face.

"Chris has already told the other campers about the situation so they know why you are not on the island." Dr. Asami said as me and Duncan walked back towards my camper.

I climbed in the camper silently. I packed all my clothes into a duffel bag. I placed two outfits into the bag I was bringing with me. I left the duffel in my camper as I went to meet Duncan. He walked out of the boys camper with his duffel bag and a stack of cards.

"Everyone here wrote get well cards for veronica." He said while placing the stack into my bag. " let's go" he grabbed my hand and led me towards the gallant. We climbed in the back seat of the car and I cried silent tears the whole way to the hospital.