Part 7

Chapter 7

Amy's POV

I was in a rotten mood after that. Leave it to him to set me off like that. And I had been so excited, too. As I stomped down the stairs, Draco tried to get my attention but I only yelled a very loud and very inappropriate word at him. He grimaced, obviously understanding why I was so pissed. I pouted all the way to King's Cross. I crossed my arms tightly across my chest in an unrelenting anger. I could only hope that something good would happen to get me in a better mood for school.

Unfortunately, the kids at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry were just as dull as ever. I stayed close to Draco as he found his place in the Slytherin compartment. As we sat down on the bench together, Draco leaned towards my ear. "Do you think you should see Potter?" he whispered.

I shook my head. "I saw him enough in Diagon Alley. Let's just get to school."

The train ride was spent on a dull conversation. I listened silently as Pansy Parkinson, Blaise Zabini, and Crabbe and Goyle spoke about their summers. They bored me, as always. But the worst part was that they were acting as though nothing had happened. They didn't even seem to realize that Teddy was gone. There were zero shits given from them. Draco realized it too, as I felt his hand find mine and squeeze gently. It helped.

By this point all I wanted to do was sleep. I sort of missed my summer lifestyle, but at least I was getting away from my dad. Unfortunately, school brought its number of hardships as well. I would now have to constantly plan out my actions around Harry, not to mention the little mission Draco had himself. My father did tell me to leave it alone, but in my opinion it was too extreme for Draco to handle on his own. Besides, when was I ever the type to listen to my dad, especially as of late.

It was getting unbearable, listening to Pansy Parkinson complain about her classes and Crabbe and Goyle hollering, although they were literally sitting across from me, about the first year they tormented at the train station and Zabini talking about his family vacations and even Draco dropping subtle hints about his mission and how pathetic life was. Finally I snapped.

"Okay, I'm gonna get some air." I stood up abruptly.

Draco glanced up at me. "You okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I just need some air, that's all."

I quickly left after that. After shimmying past Draco and out of the booth, I left our compartment. I slid the door open and went out into the hallway. However, I was met by a familiar face on the outside.

"Potter?"

He glanced up. "Oh, hey."

I narrowed my eyes to get a better look at whatever he was holding in his hands. "What's that you have? What are you holding? What are you even doing here?"

Harry grimaced in annoyance. "Amy, please..."

"Oh! I see," I replied. I leaned closer and put a hand to the side of my mouth. Whispering, I said, "It's a secret."

He rolled his eyes.

I chuckled. "I won't tell. See you at Hogwarts."

As I walked away from him and out of the Slytherin compartment, I heard a large poof. Looking back, I saw a dense cloud of smoke and heard surprised yelps. I smirked, shrugged, and moved on. Whatever it was, I was sure it had something to do with Potter. But it wasn't my problem.

*************

The start of term feast was slightly more drowsy than normal, especially the Slytherin table. Draco slouched in his seat. I didn't bother trying to cheer him up. I grudgingly ate my food, trying to put a spin on Draco's negative silence.

... At least we weren't fighting this year.

I noticed a few moments later Harry Potter walk into the Great Hall, covered in blood and holding a bloody cloth to his face. I snorted. We haven't even been at school for an hour and Harry was already getting himself in trouble.

The dull roar of the cafeteria suddenly quieted down immensely. I looked up to the teacher table to see Dumbledore standing at the podium, ready to address the students.

"The very best of evenings to you!" he began cheerfully. "First off, please join me in welcoming the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn."

Mild applause ensued. I clapped as well. I didn't know this guy but I swear that I had heard his name mentioned before. I couldn't remember where.

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post of Potions master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be assumed by Professor Snape."

This was greeted with a stunned silence. I was shocked as well. Snape was Potions teacher - he always has been. it was kind of common knowledge that Dumbledore refused to appoint him as Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher because of his past (and present) as a Death Eater. Nevertheless, Dumbledore attempted to generate some clapping to which a few Slytherins and unknowing first years responded to.

"Now," Dumbledore continued, somewhat of a darker tone to his voice this time, "as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival tonight. You have a right to know why. Once there was a young man who, like you, sat in this very Hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept beneath this roof. He seemed, to all the world, a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle."

I had to fight to keep the vomit down. The room was filled with the quietest silence I'd ever heard. I could almost feel myself pale.

"Today, of course, the world knows him by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I am reminded of a sobering fact. Each day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle. But in the end, their greatest weapon remains... you."

I tried to tell myself that it was nothing, that it wasn't a big deal, that it wasn't really happening. I sent a quick glance up to the podium where Dumbledore was. There was no denying it. He was looking at me. I looked back down at the table in silence, refusing to look him on the eye.

"Just something to keep in mind," Dumbledore finished. "Now off to bed. Pip pip!"

I got up quickly and tried not to think about anything anymore. I had suspicions about it last year but now I was certain.

Dumbledore knew exactly who I was. I went to bed thinking about that.