Part 24

Chapter 24

Hermione's POV

"That's it then," Ron replied. "I mean, you're sure you saw it happen?"

I paced back and forth in the common room. "Yes, Ron. I'm sure."

"Tell me again?" Ron asked.

I sighed irritatedly and sat down across from Ron. Before speaking, I glanced over at Harry. He was listening, but he was distant, staring out the window. There was a lot on his mind and I understood that. It was a rough time for everybody. What's more, Harry didn't want to hear anything about my theories of Amy being a Death Eater. I suppose I deserved it, as I didn't want to hear his ramblings on Draco earlier in the year.

"Well, I can't - I can't be certain, but when Katie Bell came back, she just looked at Amy a little funny," I explained. "Harry saw her look at Draco and immediately assumed that it was him, but after they left, Katie kept staring at her."

"That could mean anything though," Ron insisted. "She was probably just still in shock."

"No, Ron, you didn't see it," I protested. "The look Katie gave Amy wasn't shock. It was accusation. If Amy didn't curse her, she was at least involved."

Harry turned around. "This has happened way too many times, Hermione, and you haven't been able to prove anything."

"But that's the point, Harry!" I exclaimed. "It's happened way too many times! Every time something weird happens, she's involved, she's there, or she's best friends with someone who is involved. We have to stop treating this like a thing that could never happen and treat it more like a definite, probably possibility."

"Hermione, I'm sure she's fine!" Harry exclaimed.

I shook my head and looked away from the two of them. I liked Amy too, believe me. She was funny and really nice and despite her being in Slytherin had proved herself to be a good friend. I had my reservations about her from the start. I always thought she had looked at me with a little more disdain than others, perhaps of my upbringing by Muggles. Every time she spoke with the three of us, she always focused on them - not ignoring me, but avoiding conversation if she could.

And it was still a hard thing to overlook, the fact that every time something went wrong she or someone she knew was involved. When Harry had the attack on the Quidditch team last year, she was there. When I was attacked and my memory wiped in the Forbidden Forest, she was there. When we went to the Ministry, Teddy, her old boyfriend, was there. When Katie Bell was cursed, Draco, her best friend and apparently new boyfriend, was blamed and attacked for it.

There were some obvious holes in her existence. Some of it was just too sketchy to ignore.

"What are we gonna do?" Ron asked.

I looked up at him hopefully, thinking that maybe he believed me. "Do you believe me?"

"I mean, I dunno," Ron answered. "I really like Amy! And she's been nothing but nice to us this entire time, plus she's a Slytherin."

"But do you think it could be true?" I asked.

Ron hesitated. I noticed him steal a glance at Harry, who believed fully that Amy was on our side and not lying to us in any way. If Ron disagreed with Harry, that would make Harry all alone in his beliefs, and we knew how bad he got when that happened. But then Ron sighed. "Yeah. I guess it could be possible."

I smiled my thanks at Ron, but turned back to Harry. "You have to consider this," I said, for what seemed like the hundredth time. "Please, just think about it."