Chapter Twenty Four

Blaine

"Oh my god, that wasn't Kurt!"

As if my throat had closed in on itself, I choked on the following silence as my eyes instantly met the suspicious dark ones of Santana where she stood across the table. Her mouth hung open slightly, but I was unable to determine if she looked at me out of shock or amusement. Either way, she already knew something that couldn't be taken back.

Say something! My mind screamed at me. Tell her or she will know the truth for sure!

"No," I said calmly with a shrug as if it was the easiest thing in the world. "I'm not cheating on Kurt!"

I quickly strode over to the living room and dropped myself down onto the couch, put my feet up, and picked up one of Kurt's interior design magazines he had left spread open on the coffee table.

"I didn't say anything about cheating..." Santana replied slowly with an eyebrow raised. She had followed me into the living room almost just as quickly.

My fingers clenched the magazine pages tighter, with my eyes over-focusing on the photos of the different colored throw blankets. Still, I tried not to falter. "W-well, it sounds like you were implying that I was. And that isn't true. I'm not cheating... at all."

"Who was on the phone then?" she continued to dig. "He must've been as interested in you as you sounded to be interested in him."

"He's just a friend!" I declared. Now I was determined to get Santana to drop the subject.

"He? What's his name?" she asked.

"Let's not talk about it," I quickly denied. "You can't tell Kurt anything about this. Pretend nothing happened."

"That's a great way to start a relationship," she commented sarcastically. "Why do you always sound like you're hiding something? Let's cut the crap for a second, Blaine. What's the truth?"

Yet again I grumbled, "Let's not talk about it."

"Maybe I should ask Kurt about it then. Unless you 'don't talk about it' with him, either," Santana replied. "In that case, you have a couple things on your to-do list. What's the guy's name?"

"Seriously, Santana. I'm starting to get a little offended that you would honestly think I'm cheating on Kurt. I know you can be just as unpleasant as everyone thinks you are, but just stop it," I told her seriously, slapping the magazine back down on the coffee table.

For a brief moment, I could see a flash of something pass through her gaze that disappeared quickly. For the first time I had ever seen, Santana didn't know what to say.

At first, she turned to leave, which made me start to believe that I had actually won an argument against her. Then suddenly, she paused. "I know I can be a bitch, if that's what you mean," she said with her arms crossed.

I stood up. It could've never been that easy. "No, that isn't what I meant. I'm sorry, I-I just..."

"No, really. Everyone thinks that; I'd be surprised if you didn't. Most of the time I am glad they know, since I work so hard to be the bitch that I am, but other times people mistake me for being an untrustworthy person. And that's not what I am."

"Santana, It's not that I don't trust you, it's that... well, maybe that is it. I know you're trying to look out for Kurt, but you and I have only known each other for a little while. Trust me, I care about him too," I said uneasily.

She let out a guffaw. "Trust you? But Blaine, 'we've only known each other for a little while'."

"I didn't- I just- Ugh," I started to protest, but relaxed once I saw the playful grin spread on her lips.