Chapter Five

Kurt

I whistled softly to myself as I made my way down the halls to the choir room. My tune went down the second I stepped inside, however, to find that I was not alone.

"I didn't expect anyone in here but Mr. Schue," I said, coming into the room and setting my bag on top of the piano. "You're here early."

"You've arrived pretty early yourself, don't you think?" Rachel responded from her spot of the plastic chair on the back row. "Kurt, I tried texting you all last night."

"I'm sorry," I sighed. "I didn't have my phone on me for most of the afternoon."

"Where were you?" she asked. "I thought you said you were going to meet us at Breadstix. You didn't even call. Don't even tell me you were with Blaine."

I tried to think of something to say, but my mouth opened and nothing came out. "Rachel, listen--"

"I knew it!" she exclaimed, standing up. "I should have known when you two were the only ones missing from dinner!"

"Can you really blame me?!" I said back. "Every night before the trip to Lima you'd try to get me to cheer up and spend time with friends. Well I did, and I met Blaine. Isn't that what you wanted?!"

"Kurt, I meant for you to come back and realize that this is home. All these people surrounding you love you, and you've only seemed to push them aside since you've come back. I thought you might of liked to see your old friends again, not spend all night with someone you've just met." Rachel came closer to me, looking in my eyes.

I clenched my teeth before speaking. "Rachel, you know I hate it here. How could I enjoy a town that only drags everyone down, and a high school that I only lived to be harassed in? Besides my Dad and Carole, what else do I have here that's worth something? I found something to be happy about, and that's Blaine. I've already lost my mother and Finn, so what's wrong with searching for something to believe in?"

Her eyes fell to the floor as she went silent.

"I'm sorry, Rachel..." I said softly, knowing that tears were forming in her eyes. "I shouldn't have said anything about Finn."

"No, it's alright, Kurt," she sniffled, then looked up at me. "Don't stop believin'..." she whispered.

At that moment I almost collapsed into tears that matched hers. "That's perfect timing, Rach..." I muttered into her hair. We were in a tight hug by now. "Way to put me at ease."

By the time we drew away, we were laughing softly and wiping tears from our cheeks.

"I didn't mean for this to be a chore for you, Kurt," Rachel said softly. "All I wanted was to have a nice time together back home with our friends."

"I know," I sighed. "And I know I haven't exactly been a joy to be around lately, and I'm sorry. I just haven't really been focused these days. Between working and NYADA and everything else, I thought coming here would make it easier. But I was wrong. I'm only reminded of all the things I lost or left behind when I came back to Lima. I know I wasn't meant to be here."

She nodded. "I understand. You're just experiencing a new perspective, and I get that. I thought I'd be the same way. You know, walking the halls, singing in the choir room... I thought it would bring back such great memories. Now I see that I'm this much happier where I live now, because I was meant to be on Broadway. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see the people who changed my life and helped me find who I am."

"What if I'm still doing that, Rach?" I asked, gazing out of the windows lining the top of the wall. "What if I'm still trying to find myself?"

"See, that's exactly what our friends are here for. But as much as I hate to admit it, new friends may be the ones to help you most of all. That's why... I'm glad you spent time with Blaine," she said slowly.