Chapter Twenty

Kurt

"Something smells fantastic," Dad exclaimed as he strode into the apartment that evening.

"Thanks, Burt," Rachel grinned as she opened the cabinet to take out five glasses. "Kurt and I have been working on a little something to celebrate everyone being here."

"So it's not pizza?" he asked, looking over the table that had been set with our most fashionable dinnerware.

I rolled my eyes and checked the timer resting on the counter. "No, it's not. I've already had to consume your choices of takeout back in Lima, so you have to enjoy what we serve in our own home."

"Alright, I can settle for that. But you are going to have to take me out for some famous New York City pizza at some point this week," he replied.

"I'm definitely tagging along for that," Blaine called out from his spot in the living room.

"What about you, Anderson?" Dad asked Blaine as he approached him. "Are you into all that cooking jazz like Kurt is?"

Blaine shook his head. "I quickly learned my lesson to stay out of the way when he is working in the kitchen. I'm just the one who gets to taste-test!"

"Hey, someone has to, so it might as well be you!" I said, overhearing their conversation.

"And I love it!" he replied.

"What are you watching?" Dad asked, nodding towards the television.

"I'm just flicking through," Blaine shrugged.

"Are you into sports? You know the MLB has started up again," Dad said.

"I know, and I've been waiting to see which teams are going to be good this year," Blaine said as both of their heads turned to the baseball game that was now being displayed on the screen.

"Alright, boys. Don't get too comfortable, because dinner's ready!" Rachel told them as she set a large bowl of tossed salad onto the table.

I quickly pulled out the casserole from the oven and removed my oven mitts. "Santana, dinner is ready!" I yelled out.

"It looks great, Lady Hummel," Santana commented after appearing from the bedroom and going over to take a seat at the table. "But if everything tasted as good as it looked, I would have had a consistent girlfriend ages ago."

I choked then, but decided against saying anything in hopes that no one else, especially my own father, had heard her remark. Rachel and I may have been used to Santana's outspoken nature, but I imagined that it wasn't the same story for others.

"Whoa, you two certainly work fast for only starting a half-hour ago," Blaine said, eyeing all the food that Rachel and I had prepared and carefully placed on the table. He took the chair beside Dad, who was at the end. I sat down next to him, with Rachel on the other end and Santana across from me.

Rachel held up her glass instantly. "I propose a toast to our newest spring breakers, Burt and Blaine!" she laughed.

Each of us raised our drinks to clink together happily. Then the bowls and dishes were quickly dug into to begin fixing our plates.

"I'd just like to say how happy I am to have you two here. It's one thing to have my own dad surprise me, but it means a lot that he would bring along my best friend," I said, passing Blaine an affectionate look as I gently squeezed his hand under the table.

"Hey now, call him your boyfriend all you want," Santana interjected, "but make sure you save the best friend title for your real clique."

"Of course," Blaine chuckled. "Don't forget about Kurtcheltana!"