Chapter Seventeen

Blaine

Mr Schuester had walked into the choir room on that Monday afternoon, just as Marley and I were engaged in a conversation over the scattered sheet music on the piano. "How are the songs coming along, guys?" he asked.

"We're just about ready for Regionals, Mr. Schue!" I replied as Marley grinned beside me. I turned towards the rest of the Glee Club, who were having their own conversations in their seats. "The set list is just about finished. We've decided on using Marley's original song for the closing number, and I've been talking to Tina all weekend about what she and I want to choose as the opener."

Kitty rolled her eyes. "Ugh, I almost forgot that you and Cohen-Chang were the winners of that stupid competition."

"Stupid? Yeah, right. You and Santana were the most determined to win that thing," Ryder commented.

"Don't worry," I assured her along with the others. "We wanted to pick a good one, one that's perfect for starting our performance, so we've decided on...."

It was as if everyone was leaning closer in anticipation as I raised my eyebrows teasingly. "What is it, man?" Artie finally asked.

"A Beatles hit: Hello, Goodbye!" I eventually announced.

Everyone's face broke into smiles as they cheered and laughed, including Mr. Schue's as he pat his hand on my back. "Wow, Blaine. You and Tina could not have picked a better song as your winning decision!"

"So wait, you two chose this?" Kitty's voice cut through the noise. "What about your actual mentor, that Kurt guy?"

The room fell quiet after she spoke. I thought for a moment before responding. "Well, um... we've already kind of asked him about it. He is completely alright with whatever decisions we had wanted to make throughout the whole assignment."

"It's like he didn't even do anything," she replied, crossing her arms. "Shouldn't that, like, disqualify you three or something?"

"Kitty, I think that's enough," Mr. Schue interrupted. "Blaine and Tina's group won fair and square, and they've already picked a song that everyone likes, so there's no point in arguing it any further."

Not wanting to spend any second longer in this awkward position, I looked over to Marley, who was collecting her music sheets quietly. "Marley, didn't you have some songs you wanted to share?"

"Yes, actually," she said. "Mr. Schuester already gave me permission on singing- I mean, permission to ask you guys about singing one of the songs I wrote for the Regional competition. I've got a few here, so I wanted to hear what your guys' thoughts are about them."

Unique immediately hopped up and took some music that was handed to her. "As long as it has a fierce vibe, Unique is in, baby! Especially if it's written by an original Marley Rose."

"I'm in, too," Ryder said, taking a paper.

"Um, so am I," Jake quickly agreed with his own copy.

Just then, the bell rang throughout the school. "Okay, guys. That's it for today, but be sure to take a copy of Marley's music so we can get started on it by tomorrow!" Mr. Schue said while everyone stood up.

I wandered back over to the piano to the location of my satchel as everyone gathered around Marley. Pulling out my phone, I quickly found Kurt's name and held my thumb over the keys momentarily. *I did it, Kurt. We're going to sing the song for Regionals.* I typed.

"Blaine!" Sam suddenly called out, grabbing my arm and forcing the message to go unsent as the screen locked. He held onto my arm until he had dragged me out of the choir room and into the busy hallway.