Chapter Sixteen

(A/N): Important edit: don't be a weenie! I've already completed this book and have come back to say that I keep the readers' feelings in mind throughout the whole story, so stick with me! Do you not trust my choices in the grand scheme of writing?! ;) --Cat xx

Blaine

I killed the engine to the car after slowing down to a stop in the parking space. The music stopped abruptly, and I could tell that I couldn't use it for occupying my memory anymore. Now I was left in the silence, where all the thoughts I had been trying to avoid came flooding back, as if someone had pulled the plug.

Much to my parents' and Sam's dismay, I had come alone, taking my car out of the garage nearly twenty minutes ago. I had quickly gotten tired of the idea of having one of them take me everwhere, and have a constant watch on me. The accident was a week ago today, but by now I didn't feel hurt or angry towards anyone- just numb.

As I slid back the seatbelt and got out of the car, I remembered how better things were when I was alone anyway. I drove all the way here by myself, and if a car had somehow managed to run by and hit me on the way, I wouldn't mind, as long as I didn't drag someone I loved down with me.

So I was actually feeling quite content as I pulled open the door to the familiar Lima Bean, just as myself. A fake enthusiasm within me told me that this was going to be the best "me-time" ever.

It was crowded as usual, especially with teenagers. School had just gotten out almost an hour ago, and it wasn't a surprise that the Lima Bean was the closest thing to a cool hangout before a long weekend. Relief still washed over me as I stepped in line, since I didn't recognize anyone here.

I felt a buzz in my pocket and immediately fished it out. A real, genuine smile crept onto my face when I saw Tina's name on the screen. She had recieved her cell phone midway through the week, and Sam and I had been texting her nonstop since.

*Hey, thanks for the flowers you dropped off Blaine! :)* I read.

*No problem! I thought you would like the white and pink. So have they told you when you're getting out?* I quickly typed back.

"Next, sir?" a voice called.

I looked up to see that I was at the front of the line by now. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'll have a medium drip, please," I ordered while digging into my pocket to grab my wallet. I passed the cashier a few bills. "That's all; keep the change."

Stepping aside, I watched my phone while waiting for my beverage. My steaming cup had already arrived before I got a text back. An assortment of condiments were added to the drink hastily, so I could find an open table sooner and continue my conversation with Tina.

Deciding to scope out the cafe, I looked around with my cup and receipt in one hand, with my phone and wallet in the other. Finally I spotted a small, singular table open in the far corner.

My phone buzzed again by the time I sat down. With a long sip, I read Tina's message, which said: *Things are going well. They say I should be able to get very soon! :D*

*That's great!* I typed back.

"Blaine Anderson?" a smooth, masculine voice drew my attention away from the phone.

I looked up to see someone I didn't recognize. He was a tall, skinny boy with coiffed brunette hair and hazel eyes, and his mouth was drawn into a charming smirk. That wasn't the most obvious thing about him though. As I looked him over, my eyes widened at the sight of a navy blue blazer and tie with red accents. And pinned right over his chest was a small, circular button with a little bird on it.