Chapter Fifteen

Blaine

The scowl on my face deepened as I heard the bell ring for the passing period on Monday morning. Everywhere I looked, there were people looking at me. Girls and guys walked by, whispering sympathetic murmurs. It was no secret that everyone knew what had happened to me over the weekend.

I shut my locker as quietly as I could to avoid any loud noises that would further upset my pounding headache. I didn't know why I was in school by now; the doctors had confirmed my concussion and insisted on a mental-break. Everything around me was intensified, like I was going through a hangover as a result of a drunken mistake. But something told me this hangover wasn't going away.

Continuing down the school's corridor, I turned the corner into one of the less-frequently used hallways. I didn't stop until reaching the door that displayed the word NURSE engraved on a strip of plastic. I knocked lightly and didn't wait to come in.

The school nurse looked up from her papers she was writing on at her desk. "Oh, hi Blaine," she smiled warmly. "It's second period. You're just on time."

I watched as she opened a drawer and pulled out a yellow piece of paper that was the doctor's note and a bottle of pills. Then she rolled over to the cot without standing up from her spinning office chair. Finally she patted the cot, motioning for me to sit down.

"So how are you feeling?" she asked, skimming over the note that I assumed she had read dozens of times.

"Not much better. I don't know why I should be in school," I grumbled, sitting down.

"I know it must hurt now, but soon that will all go away," she said.

I shrugged, but her words that will all go away still echoed in my head. "I don't know about that though. I mean, people can still be dangerous. What about all that locker shoving and stuff? What about, you know, bullies...?"

She chuckled lightly, as if she had only been half-listening. "Ah, kids will be kids. Listen, as long as you take these medications at this time every day, you'll be feeling better in no time. Just be sure to keep up with the doctor's visits and physical therapy. Those are key points to recovery."

I nodded slowly, as if what she said was making complete sense. I still felt horrible, and probably always would.

"Oh, right! I'll get you a cup of water. I'll be just a second," she told me as she got up and went to the sink in the bathroom on the other side of the nurse's office.

The scowl on my face was still there; I could feel it. One thing I noticed was the small round mirror frame on her desk, reminding me of the injury. Cuts were sketched into my face along my eyebrows, cheeks, and even part of my upper lip. Another thing I noticed was the bottle of pills that she had left sitting on the counter.

I couldn't explain it. But something inside of me was urging me to reach for the unsupervised bottle of medication and take from it. It told me that this was the only way that the pain would go away. More pills would make everything go away.

Before I could control myself, I picked up the bottle and shook out a generous amount of pills into my palm before quickly shoving them in my pocket just as the nurse returned with a little paper cup of water.

"Three a day is all you will need," she said, handing me the cup. "Two for right now. And I assume your parents can give you the other one in the evening, at least six hours apart."

"Thanks," I muttered as I tossed the medication into my mouth and swallowed a large gulp of water. "I better get to class, now. But I'll see you tomorrow."