Chapter Eighteen

Kurt

I yawned groggily as a single stream of the sun's light warmed my face, finally waking me up after a long and dreamless night.

Sitting up in bed, I threw back the cold and empty sheets and remembered that I was completely alone. Rachel and Santana, the roommates, had reminded me last night of their early morning plans they made for today. So the only sounds in the loft were my soft breathing and the faint noise of traffic outside.

I, however, saw this as an excellent opportunity to get a few things done in my alone time. I pulled open my bedroom curtains in one swift motion and went straight to the little stereo system in the living room and started a playlist of my favorite songs.

Once I returned to my room, I immediately began shifting through the hangers of my clothing on the rack in hopes of finding inspiration, since I was always one for preparing myself bright and early in the day.

Since I didn't have any big plans for today that would require the usual impressing outfit, I settled on a simple faded pink three-quarter sleeve shirt, and decided to put the neck scarf away today, especially if I would just be working around the house. I shimmied into a pair of jeans while humming along to the music.

I glanced over to the kitchen, but I didn't feel hungry quite yet. There wasn't anything else that was too high on my list of things to do, but I decided on tackling the pile of laundry that each of us had been skillfully neglecting for the past week. I blew out a sigh as I dragged the basket over to the couch and sat down.

Most of it was my clothes, since we had all agreed to attempt on maintaining our own piles, but I couldn't say that I didn't gingerly pick out a few of Santana's, er, delicates from the basket along with a couple of Rachel's numerous sweaters that had somehow crawled out of the depts of high school memories. Sharing an apartment with your two closest female friends wasn't hard at all, until it came down to times like these.

"I guess it's a packaged deal," I mumbled to myself as I slid a stack of Santana's underwear off to the side, with the least amount of skin contact as possible. Then I was left with the job of pairing all of my own socks.

The music played on quietly as I arranged the laundry, and my mind began to wander. It was absolutely beautiful outside, and I could tell that Rachel had left a window or two open to allow the spring breeze to drift in from the city. Time seemed to be moving so quickly these days, knowing that my first year at NYADA was going to be coming to a close in such a short time.

Before we knew it, the school year back at McKinley would be ending eventually, too. It was a bit scary thinking that the people you grew up with would finally be saying goodbye to that school, almost as if any connection that you or them had would soon disappear. My friends would be graduating. Blaine would be graduating.

It had been nearly a month since my first visit back to Lima, and the April atmosphere made that apparent enough. Even that time seemed to fly by, like how Blaine and Tina were out of the hospital weeks ago. I remember constantly worrying about him- wanting to call him, talk to him, or even send a simple text asking if he was okay. But when the messages became less and less frequent, my instincts told me it was alright. He was finally situated.

The question then crossed my mind: was I situated? Being apart from someone that I cared for so much stung, but I couldn't help but feel a little silly knowing that he was perfectly fine while I was still struggling to get used to the circumstances. And having him turn me down after so much of his begging was a little embarrassing, too.

New York, on the other hand, couldn't have been more perfect. It may have taken a while, but this time it finally felt like I belonged here. I always knew I was meant to chase my dreams to the big apple, but something about lounging around my very own appartment in the city made it feel ten times more real. And after coming back from Lima, this place hadn't ever felt so welcoming before.