Chapter Thirty One

BLAINE

"Wow. You look handsome."

"Thanks," I exhaled, releasing the tension that had been building ever since I had stepped down from the stairway landing leading to the front foyer of the house. "You too."

Sebastian gave a bashful smile, straightening his tux jacket. "Good call on the blue, by the way. I'm loving it on you."

I ran my fingers across the blue plaid bow tie around my neck- one of the only bow ties I owned. It was oddly offsetting wearing this, when the man who had given it to me was not one and the same with the man now gazing at me.

"Are you ready, Blaine?" Mom suddenly interrupted before I required a response. She entered the front room as if she was the one going to prom: a jeweled necklace around her collar, heels that clicked across the hardwood floor, and a camera in hand.

"I think so," I responded, crossing over to stand beside Sebastian (who was taller than me by a few noticeable inches). "Where's Dad?"

"He must've gotten caught up at work today," Mom replied with a sad shrug. "Which is why I need to take plenty of pictures to show him!"

"Mom..." I groaned, chuckling in embarrassment. "I think he'll be fine."

"What could one picture hurt?" Sebastian nudged me. He snaked his hand around my waist, pulling me closer and fixing his already-perfect posture.

"Oh, that's just darling," my mother cooed, bringing the camera up to her eye and snapping a quick photo of the two of us. "Blaine, honey, smile with your teeth. Sebastian's got a hundred-watt smile."

I did as she instructed, and held the position that allowed her to take several more pictures from different angles and light sources.

"I think that's enough," I suggested. "We're going to be late."

"Gosh, I forgot that you boys are driving all the way out to Westerville," Mom commented. "Should we take any pictures on the porch?"

"Not in the rain!" I told her. "We should probably get going before it starts to storm any harder."

"Okay, okay," she finally agreed. "That should be good. Well, have fun you two. Sebastian, it was nice to meet you."

"Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Anderson," Sebastian replied politely. "We'll be sure to enjoy ourselves tonight."

"Blaine, did you tell any of your friends you weren't going to the McKinley prom?" Mom asked.

"I don't think they care, Mom. Sam and Tina know I'm not going," I said, "but I don't think they know that I planned on going to the Dalton Academy Spring Formal with Sebastian."

"I told him it was okay if he wanted to go to the prom," Sebastian added in, "but Blaine insisted we go to Dalton once he found out the formal was the same night."

"Well, have a good time nevertheless," Mom smiled.

Sebastian gave a nod. "Hey, you wait here, Blaine. I've got an umbrella in my car and I'll bring it up."

I muttered a soft 'thank you' before Sebastian opened the front door and was dashing down the stone path to his car parked on the street.

"I love you, Blaine," Mom said.

"I love you too," I replied, giving her a warm hug. "I'll see you later tonight."

I followed after Sebastian's example and headed out the door. The air was thick, and considerably wet for the drizzling rain that was showering over.