Chapter 29: Watch Your Hands

Everly

Karson and Joe got along great. He was such a people person it didn't take long for Joe to accept him. As soon as they started talking about baseball it was all over. Finally at about 5 p.m., Karson had said it was time to teach me how to drive. We lived in a smaller neighborhood so he was going to teach me on the block. Kim was ecstatic that I was finally going to learn but I was a wreck.

"Are you sure I should drive your car? It's so expensive and I'm so clumsy, I'll accidentally wreck it."

"Nah it's fine. Ya must learn sometime. Besides, it's not like I own it anyways."

"If you say so money bags," I replied. We walked outside and I got into the driver's side of the car. My palms were sweaty. I think Karson could tell I was nervous because he rubbed circles into the back of my neck with his thumb and pointer finger.

"It'll be okay. You'll do great." He whispered trying to comfort me.

"Okay. Okay. Okay. I can do this. I can do this! I can't do it!" I groaned.

"You haven't even turned on the ignition yet."

"Okay. I can do it." And I switched the key. It was such a soft purr I almost didn't hear it but it startled me. This was a really nice car. I had been in it several times but it was different when you were about to drive it. There was something comforting about it.

"You're doing good. Now put it into drive," I switched it into drive. "Okay, now slowly press on the pedal." I obeyed and we started moving.

"I'm doing it! I'm doing it-"

"STEP ON THE BRAKE!" Karson yelled. I was about to hit a light post.

"I'm hopeless," I said ready to give up.

"No, no that was good, well for your first time."

We practiced until it got dark. And I couldn't see very well anymore.

"That was a great start!" Karson said clapping his hands together. "Now tomorrow we can start working on reverse parking!"

"But that's what I fail at every time!" I exclaimed.

"Well it might take a while but we'll figure it out!"

"I sure hope so..." I mumbled.

And for the next few days, I worked on learning how to drive. I still had my manual but Karson was a way better instructor than the book.

"Now when we get back to school you can take the test again and hopefully get a license!"

"Yeah. Hopefully. It's weird to think we go back next week." I said.

"Mhm. Also, when are we gonna have our concert?" He asked with a devilish smile.

"Ugh, I don't wanna think about that."

"We're gonna have to announce it eventually."

"Yeah I know," I said back. "I'm just nervous. I don't know if I'm ready to be known as a pop star's girlfriend. I wanna be known for being my own person you know?"

"I told you if you didn't want to be in this relationship you didn't have to. I'm not forcing you to do something you don't want to."

"And I told you I'm not leaving so case closed."

"You're hot when you're mad." He said his eyes dilating.

"Or so I've been told." He leaned in and put his arms around my butt, lifting me up he set me on the car and was about to kiss me when we heard a sound.

"WATCH WHERE YOU PUT YOUR HANDS BOY!" Kim was screaming out the window.

"Yes, ma'am." He said pulling away laughing. I looked at him and pouted. It was just getting good. When Kim left the window he leaned in and bit my lip. A soft moan escaped my lips and I immediately blushed. I dug my head into my sweatshirt. What the hell was I doing?! He started laughing and it felt like the whole car was shaking. He fell and was rolling around on the ground laughing. I looked down. He was an idiot. He was my idiot.

__________

"Everly I know something's wrong, you're being super quiet," Mia said coming up next to me in the hall. This was one of those rare times Karson wasn't at my side. He was at some special class for smart people with Arnold. Which is surprising because he always acted dumb but in reality, he's pretty intelligent. "Oh. OH! I know what's going on!" She said squealing and raising her eyebrows. Yep, she figured it out. "So what was it like?" She asked curiously and I hit her with my book.

"It's not like that!" I yelled and everyone in the hallway looked at me. People were starting to figure out we were close. Maybe not dating status but they were getting there. And I was trying to push the concert date as late as I could. It was the middle of January and we had been in school for about two weeks, meaning Karson and I had been together about a month.

"Well, then what happened?" She asked popping a piece of gum in her mouth. She handed me one and I stuck it in mine for something to distract me.

"Well...He was teaching me how to drive...And I was starting to get sassy...And he said I was hot when I was mad like you did that one time...And then he uh...Lifted me up on the car and he...Kissed me."

"And?"

"And what?"

"That's not the full story."

"I'm a terrible liar...Anyways. Well, Kim yelled at him to watch his hands...And when she walked away I pouted and he erm...Bit my lip." I left out the last part but she seemed satisfied.

"Well, that wasn't as juicy as I thought it would be."

"You're forgetting a part Beauty." I heard someone whisper in my ear and it ruffled my hair. I turned around gasping to see Karson standing there with the biggest smirk on his face.

"Don't. You. Dare." I said testing him. He looked at Mia, then at me and zipped his lips.

"Don't what? Ohhh you left out something didn't you?" She said her smiling returning. "So what is it?" She asked Karson.

"My lips are sealed." I shuffled quickly towards chemistry while she walked in after me.

"I'll figure it out. I know I will." And then the bell rang signaling that class was starting. Hopefully, she didn't figure it out. I would never live it down.