Chapter 3: The Big Breakthrough

Everly

I woke up suddenly to Mia banging on my window.

"Open the window!!!" She screamed.

"Okay okay, calm down!"

I slowly opened it signaling her to stay quiet so I wouldn't get in trouble.

"Have you seen the time?!"

I quickly glanced over at the alarm clock, and like a slap in the face, it read: [8:00 a.m.].

"Oh shoot! School starts in 20 minutes!"

"Exactly, now get moving!"

I quickly grabbed everything and quietly snuck down the stairs, which luckily everyone was still sleeping. We went outside into her car, I glanced over and saw a ladder up to my window, I turned around to ask Mia for an explanation, but instead of seeing her, I saw a brand new cell phone sitting in the palm of her hand.

"Mia? What's this for? You get a new one again?"

"SURPRISE! I got you a phone!"

"You-you- what!?" I couldn't believe it, I looked around expecting to see cameras or something, but I saw nothing.

"Well, You know, youhaveneverhadaphonesoIwantedtogetyouonesoIstolemydadsmoneyand..." She continued but I didn't let her finish, instead, I embraced her in a huge hug.

"Thank you Mia, honestly I can't believe you. Now, um...How do you run this thing?"

________

We finished school and while Mia was flirting with Kevin Keley, I was hanging out in the music room singing Hey There Delilah while playing it on the piano. I finished singing the song with a smile on my face remembering the one time I got Mia to sing it for me. She's my best friend, but my god was she horrible at singing.

"BRAVO!" I heard a voice yell.

I turned around so fast I thought I got whiplash, but all I saw was Mia giving me the 'Chesire cat' face.

"I never knew you could sing like that! Why didn't you tell me? You're amazing Everly!"

I knew my face was red from embarrassment.

"Hey, hey. There's nothing to be embarrassed about! You sounded so good, you could be better than Karson Kape!"

At that I definitely freaked out; she just mentioned my lifelong dream that I hadn't told anyone about.

I quickly ran away, away from the music room, away from the school, away from my worries, to my safe haven, Jenny's Diner, to eat my favorite pumpkin spice pancakes.

_________

Before too long my phone screen said [7:00]. I knew that I should get back to Mia's house but I wasn't ready to face her, so I continued to sulk staring at the wall.

"Sweety we close up in 15 minutes, you might wanna get going along, I'm sure you have somewhere to be," I heard Jenny say to me in her thick Southern accent.

I was about to reply to her when my phone started going off, random number after random number, I screamed dropping the phone hearing the case crack from the impact. I slowly picked up the phone and seeing the name 'Mia' I quickly answered it.

"M-Mia? What's going on?" I said not bothering trying to hide the panic in my voice.

"So...I may or may not have posted a video of you singing online." She replied, guilt evident in her voice.

"YOU WHAT!? MIA I WILL KILL YOU!"

_______

I was back at Mia's house drinking hot chocolate shooting daggers at her.

"Okay okay... I'll admit, I shouldn't have posted it without telling you, but I knew that you wouldn't have let me, besides! The video has gone viral! You're famous now!"

"I. Don't. Care. Take it down. NOW!"

"Okay, but that's your loss, besides, guess who contacted meeeeee?" She said with way too much enthusiasm making me worried.

*Hmph* "Who?" I asked.

"KARSON KAPE!" She said squealing.

Whatever she was going to say, I was not expecting that. I dropped my mug of hot chocolate and it crashed to the ground.

"N-no way...Are you serious...Mia, you have to be kidding..."

"Nope. I got a message from him. Here look," she said handing me her phone.

'"Hello, this is Karson Kape. By the looks of your profile picture, I can see that the video you posted was not you singing, so I ask, who was it? Who-ever that girl is I need to speak with her immediately, with a voice like that; she could be as good as me. Reply within the next 24 hours or I won't contact you again.'"

I gapped at Mia; obviously, this was a prank, a ploy to crush my dreams.

"Mia, how do you even know that is the real Karson Kape?"

"Well, I'm glad you asked," she said with a smirk.

"See, look right here." She showed me his profile, 50.4 Million Followers it read.

"Oh Mia...Did you reply?"

"No, this was something I wasn't stupid enough to do without your permission."

"Good. Because I don't want you to."

"Wh-what, why?! This is your dream!"

"Exactly, my dream. Mia, though I appreciate the help, I want to sing on my own, not with someone else. Call me selfish, but would you want somebody that can sing better than you taking all the glory you worked so hard for?"

"No...I suppose not. But wouldn't it be amazing to sing with him! You could go to song releases, wear dresses, all that kinda stuff. And hey," she said raising her eyebrows, "you could maybe even develop a relationship with him."

I turned beet red at the statement, it would be pretty cool, but I was sticking with my idea, stay by myself.

"Sorry Mia, as much as I love you, I want you to take down the video. You disrespected my privacy by filming it but made it worse by posting it online. It wouldn't be as bad if you did ask. But you didn't. So if you respect me, please take it down." I said giving her the guilt trip.

"I-I...Oh all right. There, done," she said while giving me the puppy dog eyes, but hey, at least she looked ashamed.

___________

I was so relieved when Mia took down the video, but I couldn't help feeling scared that someone from our school would have seen the video, but nobody mentioned anything, either they were being nice and hiding it, I doubt it, or Mia took it down before anyone saw it. I was going for the second option. Before long I realized that the trip to New York was in less than two days, and I needed to start packing!