Chapter 13: Giving Cinderella Her Shoe...With Exceptions

Karson

Alex couldn't decide whom to look at. He kept looking back and forth as if he was gonna miss something.

"Ahem." Mia quickly said.

"Erm...Hi, fire- I mean Mia, Alex." I said acknowledging Beauty's best friend and my brother.

"You two know each other?" Beauty asked astonished.

"In a way," I said forgetting that no one knew he existed. Just like no one knew Everly was Jae Annalore's daughter.

"Interesting." I knew she wanted to ask questions but decided not to out of pure politeness.

"Any who... I was walking around looking for you; Everly and I found Alex here who it turns out also has a passion for art."

"That's...Nice." She replied uncomfortably.

"I'm sorry did we interrupt something?" Alex said asking Beauty with his velvet voice that I knew he only used to attract women. I had a strong urge to growl at him. And the little sneak decided to look at me and wink. I would destroy him later.

"Actually, yes. You did." I replied fiercely with my jaws locked giving the impression of, 'Back off man. My territory.'

"Oh! I-I'll just leave..." He quickly retreated out the door. Serves him right.

"Um... I'll be right back." Mia said glaring at me.

"That was awkward."

"Agreed. Now, what was that you were saying earlier?"

"When... When we were at the ball last week, you lost your phone, am I right?"

"Yes." She said breathlessly.

"After I got everyone off your back. Which I'm still waiting for thanks, I found your phone where we were talking earlier that night. And I uh, took it...I didn't know how to contact you to tell you I had it but I didn't think you'd want a random person to take your phone, though I suppose I did."

Different emotions crossed her face. Anger, sadness, confusion, then... Content-ness?

"Thank you, for both of those things. Now can I have my phone back?"

"Yep, I already put my number in there so," I said waiting for her reaction.

___________

We were walking side by side on the beach. It was reaching evening and I had to use all of my strength to not put my hand in hers. I know it sounds crazy since we only met a week ago and only talked twice but I felt a personal connection. I don't know if it was because I knew her big secret or because I understood her and the whole celebrity thing even though she didn't know I knew.

"If you ever need to talk... It's right there."

"I'll... Keep that in mind."

"You're probably wondering why I'm talking to you so much aren't you?"

She sighed a breath of relief before saying, "Yes. I really don't understand. I'm not that interesting and you're...You."

"Because, Everly Desiree Annalore. I like your voice and I know your secret." I said, seeing if she would react.

Fear flashed in her eyes. I knew that I was correct in thinking she was Jae's daughter.

"What secret. And how do you know my name?" She stated quickly.

"Now don't get mad but, I know about your dad."

"No one's supposed to know about that...How did you figure it out?" She whispered quietly.

"Well, it was more a guess, but it seems I'm right. Don't worry. Your secret's safe with me. That's what friends are for, right?"

"We're...friends?"

"Of course."

"Thanks." She looked up at me with bright emerald green eyes. I felt like I could look into them for forever. But eventually, we broke our gaze as she said,

"I should probably be getting home."

"Me too."

"See you at school tomorrow I guess. Hey Karson?"

"Yes?"

"Do you mind if I ask, what's your middle name? Since you know mine..." She stuttered immediately blushing.

"It's Kaleb."

"Hm. Karson Kaleb Kape. I like it." Her voice was next to impossible to hear. I don't think I was supposed to hear it. Nevertheless, I couldn't wait to see her tomorrow.

________

The next day I got up, said my goodbyes to Alexafter carefully picking out my outfit and I headed to school in a Porsche I hadrented for my stay. When I got there I was disappointed. I didn't see a blackhaired beauty anywhere and it bothered me. But I knew she arrived home safebecause I texted her right as I got home. You could say I was growing attachedto this beautiful girl. And I liked it.