Chapter 25: Making Amends

Everly

It was 10:00 a.m. and Karson was outside waiting for me so we could drive to Mia's house to celebrate our Christmas Day. I grabbed my bag full of presents and sprinted down the stairs. I already knew Kim and Joe didn't buy me anything so I didn't bother to stick around.

"Hey wait. That's Karson Kape, right?" Kim said stopping me.

"Yes. Why?" I asked gritting my teeth.

"You two are friends, aren't you?"

"Yeah. Now if you don't mind I'm going to go to my family's house." Concern flickered across her face.

"Look I know the past few years we haven't treated you right," She said as Karson honked the horn. "I'll try to hurry it up. And I'm truly sorry. For everything. You've been through enough as a child and we've only made it worse. Can you forgive me? Us?"

"Why the sudden change of heart?" I asked.

"Well, it's Christmas. And we're family. Joe and Grayson haven't come around yet but they will. Also, I got you a little something," She blushed pulling out a tiny ring. It was a gold band with a tiny opal on it. "It used to be my mother's... It's been passed down for generations and now it's yours. I know I could never replace your mother but I can at least try to be like her. Because that's what you deserve."

"Oh, Kim. Thank you!" I smiled pulling her into an abrupt hug.

"It's no problem. Now go have fun!"

"I will," I said as I slipped the ring on my third finger. Huh, we had the same ring size. I walked out the door towards Karson's black car. He looked me up and down and then smiled cheekily. "See something 'ya like?" I asked throwing up my hands and referring to my Mrs. Claus outfit. It was an off the shoulder knee length red dress with white poofy trim and high black boots. Something I had bought specifically for today. With that, I had on a red Santa hat.

"Indeed I do," He pulled me towards him and gave me a swift kiss on the lips. Just the movement made me light-headed with giddy-ness. "Aw don't tell me another man has stolen your heart!" He said lifting up my hand and looking at the ring.

"Never. This is a present from Kim."

"From Kim?!"

"Yeah. We've finally made amends." I said as she waved out the window to us. She probably saw the kiss. I blushed.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"I think she saw us kiss." My blush deepened and he started laughing.

"You're too cute for your own good."

__________

As soon as we got there, Mia and Hannah pulled me through the door and up the stairs.

"Tell. Us. Everything." They said urgently. I hadn't seen them since we left for New York so they didn't know anything. Karson had taken all of my time recently.

"So are you guys dating?" Hannah asked with wide eyes.

"Wh- What do you mean."

"Oh cut the crap, Everly. We saw the newspaper, you two were practically undressing each other with your eyes." After that statement, I heard someone choking downstairs. Mia laughed and stood up to close the door.

I started the story at the beginning when I met Karson at the ball. Then I went on to when we met at the beach where Mia said,

"I'll kill Jake Rossphel."

Then I told Hannah about whom my father was. Mia tuned it out since she had already heard the story before. Then I told them about when I hung out at Karson and Alex's house.

"So wait. Alex is Karson's brother?!" Hannah exclaimed.

"Yeah, I guessed it. They look a lot alike." Mia shrugged it off.

"Everly I have a question. When they call you to the office, they use Annalore. Hasn't anyone made the assumption that you're Jae Annalore's daughter? Also, do Kim and Joe know?"

"Well, when people ask about my last name. I say that I'm not related; we just shared the last name. But the principal and some of the staff know about it. And no, Kim and Joe don't know. I think if they did they would have treated me better.

"That's so sad," Hannah said frowning.

"Oh well. I've always coped with it by singing."

"Yeah which you didn't bother to sing to me until only recently!" Mia yelled. "I'd always guessed that you could sing well, 'cause of your father but you never did." She said sadly.

"Well, it's always been something I'm insecure about."

Then I went on to tell them about the kiss, then when he asked me to go to New York, and lastly when he asked me out and what happened that night. Though I didn't bother to tell them about Karson's idea of a 'concert.'

"Well, you've sure had an action-packed week," Hannah said still in awe.

"I sure have."

"Something's bothering me though," Mia said with furrowed eyebrows.

"What is it?" I asked.

"That one guy at the pool. You said he had brown hair and green eyes? And Alex said he looked kinda like you?"

"Yeah. Why are you so interested?"

"No reason. Just a speculation I have."

"Oh..kay...?"

"Anyways, are you really ready to be with a pop star? I mean, people are probably gonna figure who you are eventually." Hannah said with empathy.

"Yeah, and if I'm gonna be with Karson that's obviously gonna bring some attention to me. My 'swell deal with the whole thing at once."

"Well, I think you two are perfect for each other," Hannah said fan-girling and Mia grunted.

"Girls time to open presents." Mia's mom, Molly said coming up the stairs with a load of clothes.

"Oh, Ms. Hemsworth don't trouble yourself! It's Christmas, take the day off. Here let me help you." I said getting up to grab the basket from her. Setting it on the floor, I led her back down the stairs.

"Everly you are too kind to me." I looked up to see Karson smiling at me, and I returned it. Mia and Hannah walked down the stairs and stood at my sides.

"Merry Christmas everyone!" We said in glee.