Chapter 8. Two ways

Me and Kerim ran east to Lorza. Lorza is a big fortress and only reason why soldiers from there weren't called in to the fight over Gordul and Fardota was that enemy scouts were already patrolling on the roads so they assured lowest possible number of our soldiers.

Lorza has long history of fights with Vexons and bandits. That is the main reason why there is never a lack of soldiers here. The fort is well positioned on the hillside of a coast. Its commander lord Herald was skilled general, who by the way was always happy when he could join some battle so he could boast about how he led soldiers into victory.

Our way led through a small village named Kor. We were only two and we knew that we first need to get to the village so we were safe from possible Gistor and Norvagit scouts who could be around here in case we would try to get help.

We ran through a forest and stayed out of the main road. After few kilometers we stopped running and took a breath. We kept walking tho, because we didn't want to let our forces in Fardota waiting for too long. It could cost them too many lives.

We got to a rocky cliff side and had to go back on a road for a while because we would slow ourselves too much getting through there.

We came close to the road and hid behind two trees. I leaned out from behind the tree and checked if there aren't any enemies around. It seemed okay, and so I gave sign to Kerim that we can go.

We ran out from behind the trees and kept running our direction. The village was only five kilometers ahead. Right after we passed the rock cliff side we went down from the road again just to be sure.

After few minutes we got to the village. Kerim flew up and checked the way. He landed on a tree and I waited under it till he comes down.

Kerim flew down to me and I asked.

- "Clear?"

- "Cleared out to be precise. The village is burned down."

- "By who?"

- "Can't say for sure but there was a big Vexon in the ditch, so I'd say by Vexons." we had no other choice tho. We had to get to the village so we could get to the fortress.

We came closer and Kerim took me by flight over the wall. Village seemed abandoned and most of the houses were burned.

We kept on walking with our guard on so we didn't get ambushed. There were dead village folk, soldiers and Vexons all over the place and smell of burned meat in the air.

We passed the square and speed up so we were already in the fortress which we could see from here. It was up on the hill but a few minutes from the village.

Suddenly we heard something.

It was like if someone was trying to get out from under the ruins. We stopped and looked around. We couldn't see the person and so I yelled.

- "Hey! Anybody there? Where are you?" the noise stopped.

We looked around and then an arrow flew around my head. We both hid behind the well and we saw how band of five Vexons runs our way.

Kerim slapped me behind my ear.

- "Can't stay quiet?"

- "No I can't." I talked back.

I took my crossbow and aimed at the shooting vexon that ran at the end of the group. I fired a couple of shots and shot him down.

The other Vexons got to us and so I pulled out my shield and sword. I leaned with my shield on my left arm to the front and ran against first Vexon.