TWELVE

TWELVE

I sit down in the hallways, against the lockers looking down at a Lycanthropy book. If I'm gonna help my brother, then I need answers. I want to help him during the full moon, I want him safe. 

And, I don't want to lose him either. Losing my dad was a big kick in the ass, I don't need my other half gone either. 

I bite on my pen, my eyes scanning the pages. I'm the only one in this hallway, I think. My bag sat down beside me on my right side. 

"What are you reading?" I jump, looking up, it had been completely silent until Jackson Whittemore was standing over me, he then slides down next to me on left. 

"Just stuff for a history project." I lie, slowly closing the book, and placing it in my lap. Why the hell was Jackson here? What did he want? Can't I be left in peace? I sucked in some air, then released it. "Did you have a free period, or..." 

I made awkward eye contact with Jackson. We've never actually had a conversation before. Other than I think the one that happened in the movie store, but I dunno I can't remember. "No, I just don't like sitting through English," I let out a tiny laugh, understandable. 

"Understandable." I nod. Though, I liked English. It then grew into awkward silences. 

I felt like Jackson needed something. Or wants something. "Did... did you want something?" I ask slowly, looking at Jackson. He had a good jawline, I wasn't gonna lie. 

"Actually, yeah." I knew it. "I wanted to talk." Well, I don't really want to talk right now, thanks. "I realized I've been a jerk to you. And especially Scott." Oh.  "And I wanted to say I'm sorry," 

No. 

Jackson Whittemore did not just say sorry to me. Never in his life has he said sorry to... well anyone. I sighed and ran a hand through my clean hair. 

"I'm serious." Jackson continued. 

"Okay, I... I believe you're being serious, but I'm not sure I believe you're being sincere." I told him honestly, I mean, it's Jackson. I then open my book up again and started to read. 

"Do you know what it's like to be the best player on the team?" No, but Scott does. "Hmm?" I pressed my lips together. "To be the star? To have every single person at the game chanting your name? And then... some kid... some kid just comes along, and then everyone starts looking at him instead of you." I knew for a fact he was talking about my brother. "Do you know what that feels like?"

I turn to Jackson. "No, I don't."

"Well, it feels like something's been... it feels like when something's been stolen from you." Oh. "And then you start to feel like you'd do anything... anything in the world to get it back." 

I then smile at Jackson. "Haven't you ever learned that's there's no in team?" I ask, damn I'm good. 

"Yeah, but there is a me." Jackson said, my face fell. I didn't know he could get that cocky. He then chuckles. "That was a joke." Oh.  I then smile and forced out a laugh. 

"Gosh." Jackson rubs the back of his neck. "You must really hate me." Actually, not that much anymore. I mean, he apologized for being a dumbass which would've taken some gut to do for someone like him. 

I shake my head, leaning my head against the lockers. "Not at all." This time, I wasn't lying. 

"You sure?" Jackson asked as we made eye contact. "Because I'm not a bad guy, I mean, yeah, I make stupid mistakes, a lot, but... I'm not bad. I really like you. A- and Scott. I really... I really like you both, and I want you guys to like me." I nod. "I want to get to know you guys better." Jackson then leans forward, and I pull away slightly, I'm not gonna kiss Jackson when he has a girlfriend. I wouldn't kiss him at all, actually. "So... what are you reading?" 

✢ 

"Let's go, sit, sit, sit." Coach told us as the bell rings and I walk into health class. I sat down behind Stiles, who sat next to Scott. "We got a lot to cover today. Let's go. Quicker." 

"Hey, Stiles, sit behind me," Scott whispered and Stiles got up quickly, but Allison bet him to it. Stiles smiled at then sat back down at his seat. Oh boy. 

"Hey," Allison greeted with a smile to Scott, I slide down in my seat. 

"Hey," 

"I haven't seen you all day," Allison told him. Clingy? 

"I've been super busy," Scott lied. 

"When are you gonna get your phone fixed? I feel like I'm totally disconnected from you." Allison told Scott. 

"Uh, soon. Real soon." I watch Coach write up on the bored. 

"I changed my lab partners, by the way," Allison said, leaning forward. I raised an eyebrow. I was her lab partners. Stiles was his lab partner. 

"Oh, to who?" Scott asked. 

"To you, dummy," and there goes that plan. 

"Wait, so does that mean I'm with Stiles?" I ask, not that I minded. Allison nodded, giving me a small smile. 

"You two seem to work better, so I figured we might as well switched partners. I think I worked better with Scott." Allison smirked. 

"Me? I mean, are you sure?"

"Yeah." Allison nodded, smiling. "This way I have an excuse to bring you home and study,"