23

champagne supernova - oasis 

[Luke]

The sunlight gushing in the room from the thin curtains blinded me and I felt my head start to throb. Waking up was always hard for me, whether I had a hangover or not.

A pair of cold feet brushed against mine and two pale, skinny arms were wrapped tightly around my waist.

Her hair tickled my neck.

“Good morning,” she whispered from behind me.

I turned around quickly in a rather noisy, disruptive manner, the white blanket loudly moving with me, and faced someone I’ve never imagined waking up next to.

She grinned. Parts of her lips still had traces of last night’s lipstick. Her mascara was smudged along with her eyeliner to her temples and her hair was in a mess of curls. She looked like a Barbie doll decorated by a three-year-old.

I hurriedly sat up, unaware of my naked body. Luckily, the blanket fell on my lap, covering what needed to be hidden. She giggled.

“No need to hide that from me, Luke.” I swore she winked at me. “You weren’t this shy last night.”

I cleared my throat and rubbed my aching temple with my fingers. “Mandy, how did this happen?” My voice was so hoarse I didn’t recognize it at first.

Her face went from smug to confused. “You don’t remember anything from last night, do you?”

“No,” I straightforwardly said. I was entirely confused and millions of questions started to enter my mind, which only made my headache even worse, if possible.

“Do you want, like, the entire story?” She sighed.

“Yes.”

Mandy swallowed. “Well, all I know is that you were taking shots with Ivey. I mean, I don’t know what you guys did before that; Michael said that he saw you guys go in the bathroom but we all know you obviously didn’t make a move since you’re one heck of a coward.”

“Thanks,” I rolled my eyes.

She waved a hand. “Anyway, I was with Ashton and he saw you guys by the bar, and I don’t know, he’s got issues, so he got me and we went to you guys. And then you guys kind of started fighting and he ended up getting Ivey from you and he left me so I was stuck with you. You were really pissed at him and started drinking even more and you brought me here.”

The way she said it didn’t sound like she was hurt, which was what confused me the most. If I were Mandy, I would’ve slapped me. Her face showed boredom, like she has said the story millions of times.

I felt my forehead and cheeks heat up at the thought of Ivey. “Ah, shit,” I hissed under my breath, causing Mandy to raise her faultless eyebrows.

“What?” She whispered, leaning forward.

I looked around the room and exhaled in relief when I spotted my bag at the corner beside the bathroom door; it was my hotel room.

“Mandy, you have to get out of here.” I flickered my eyes from my luggage to her with a steady voice.

She looked confused. “What? Why?”

I shook my head. “Ivey’s—“

“Ivey?” She repeated with a scoff. “What does Ivey have to do with this?” There’s the hurt I’ve been looking for.

I opened my mouth to answer, but was left speechless. She was right; Ivey had nothing to do with my situation with Mandy. I slept with Mandy, not her. Why did I feel guilty, and why did I expect Ivey to wake up next to me, if she wasn’t even my girlfriend in the first place?