8

someone like you - the summer set

[Michael]

“This is Jenny,” Alice smiled, pointing at her. “Jen, this is Michael. He’s from—“

“5 Seconds of Summer, yeah.” She smiled, extending an arm for me to shake. I shook it, earning a squeeze from her before letting go. “I’ve heard of you guys.”

We were in one of the most colorful shops I’ve ever seen in my entire life. Even Jenny was colorful with her neon pink shorts and bright yellow top. Her hair was blue, falling over her chest. The store had white walls with finger paintings and drawings all over them, some of them lyrics of songs and lines from books.

“He wants green hair.” Alice said, slightly pushing me down on a leather seat in front of a mirror.

“Green?” Jenny approached me and started fiddling with my hair. She pulled a few strands up and rubbed her thumb over them a few times, closely examining it.

I swallowed hard. “Is that okay? Or will it be weird?”

Jenny laughed. “There is no such thing as weird hair, Michael.”

She walked away before I had the chance to speak, entering a room at the far back of the store. Alice sat on the chair beside me, crossing her legs.

“Ivey and I have a theory that she smokes pot.” She whispered, a smirk evident on her lips. “She probably gets it from the tattoo guys.”

“Where did she go?” I looked at the door she had entered, confused.

“Probably to get dye or something.” Alice shrugged.

I exhaled slowly, staring back at my reflection on the mirror through my tinted sunglasses. “Will green be weird, or should I get it bleached?”

“I think green would be cool.” Alice said. “It’s different, you know?”

I nodded. “Yeah.”

“So, how are Ashton and Luke?” She suddenly asked, looking at me.

“I don’t know.” I shrugged. “They’ve been ignoring each other lately. Jackie helps out by putting makeup on their bruises so that no one would notice.”

“I don’t get why they always see cockroaches when they’re together.” She frowned and I almost choked. “I don’t see cockroaches anywhere. They always end up hurting each other because of cockroaches, like, why can’t they just kill it?”

I stared at her for a while, completely surprised that she was so oblivious. “Alice,” I said slowly.

She looked at me, tilting her head to the side. “What?”

“You do know that there aren’t cockroaches, right?” I chuckled lightly. “They’re using it as an excuse.”

Alice’s mouth dropped in shock and I couldn’t help but smile at how cute she looked. “No way!” She gasped.

I nodded, laughing. “Yeah,”

“They’ve been fighting about Ivey all this time, weren’t they?” Her eyes grew in realization, making me smile wider. This girl made me feel things I never knew I could feel and I was thankful she introduced these feelings to me.

“Yeah, did you really think they’d hit each other because of a cockroach?” I said, still laughing.

“Why not?” She frowned. “Boys can get physical, right?”

“Luke gets really defensive when it comes to Ivey.” I said.

“It’s sweet, actually.” Alice shrugged.