21

my favourite things - the sound of music 

[Luke]

I expected her to return the bottle cap again, but when morning came, it was hung onto a ball chain around her neck for everyone to see.

She avoided eye contact when she passed by Michael and I in the greenroom on her way to leave, but it didn’t bother me. She was wearing my bottle cap.

“You’re one step closer to getting her back.” Michael smirked when Ivey left the room.

I threw my empty water bottle at him and it hit his chest. I smiled in content. “I’m one step closer to breaking your back.”

“Fuck you.” He threw the bottle back to me, but I easily caught it with one hand.

“How’s Alice?” I shifted the water bottle from one hand to another.

Michael beamed at the sound of her name. “She’s great, still as amazing as ever. We made a blanket fort at the back last night.”

“Blanket forts are fun.” I said quietly, trying to remove the memory of the several blanket forts I’ve made with Ivey. “So you really like her, huh?”

“Like her?” Michael scoffed. “I’ve been in love with the girl since the first day we met backstage at that One Direction gig.”

“Oh, yeah.” I nodded. “You couldn’t stop staring at her.”

“She was devouring chicken when we met, of course I couldn’t stop staring at her. Food and girls are a good combination.” He sighed.

“You’re such a pig.” I rolled my eyes and threw the bottle once again. It hit his forehead.

“Hey, I’m getting more sex than you.”

--

Ivey dropped a Lego brick on my hand that night, but it felt like she dropped a real, fully cemented brick on my head.

“Yellow Lego brick, explain.” She demanded and sat next to me in the empty lounge. It was two in the morning.

“Why are you still awake?” I closed my fingers around the brick and looked at her. Her hair was in a high ponytail and she was makeup-less. She wore an oversized shirt, the shirt that was once mine, the shirt that no one dared to say who truly owned it. Her eyes looked tired and bloodshot, she had even more bruises on her wrists, and of course, more love bites on her neck.

“Couldn’t sleep; it’s not raining.” She brought her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. “Rain is the best music to listen to when falling asleep.”

She couldn’t sleep when it wasn’t raining, and I used to sing her to sleep over the phone when it didn’t shower.

“You know that song, in Sound of Music?” She whispered. “Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.” She sang quietly and swayed a bit.

“Yeah,” I exhaled.

She nodded. “So, what’s the story behind the Lego brick?”

I shrugged and straightened myself up in my seat. “It’s not important, really.”

“Then why is it in the box?” She pressed.

“Okay, fine.” I sighed. “So, just for the sake of entertainment, I made a heart out of Lego bricks and took out the brick in the middle and hid it in your room.”

“You did not!” Ivey covered her face and started to laugh behind her palms. “You are so corny, Luke!”

“The brick,” I said in between laughs, “I wrote something on the brick with a Sharpie marker and it said, ‘you complete me.’”