11

lullaby - jack johnson

[Luke]

“She’s really great.” I swallowed hard, trying my best to look like I was comfortable with what was happening.

For some reason, Ashton and I were pulled out of band rehearsal for a quick magazine interview somewhere downtown while the rest of the band did a few interviews as well at the venue. Flames had their own errands, too, spending the morning at Hollywood filming a music video. It was a morning dedicated to cramming work and we all had to finish by seven because we still had a show.

“Yeah,” Ashton responded and I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes yet again. “She keeps us company a lot and we learn a lot from her and the rest of Flames. They’re more experienced in the industry, and they’re always open to our really stupid questions about headliners and singles. It’s funny, really, that they’re younger than us by how many years and they’re more successful. It’s kind of like a motivation for us, actually, and an inspiration for anyone out there who wants to pursue their dreams.”

I chuckled lightly. “Yeah, Ivey teases us a lot about the really horrible decisions we make and tells us what we should’ve done. But even though she does that, it doesn’t come out like she’s boasting or anything.”

“She’s actually really insecure about herself.” Ashton added. “She doesn’t show it, but she is.”

I nodded in agreement. “Ivey’s a really grounded person and she helps us, you know, keep our feet on the ground but at the same time, fly.”

The interviewer, Nick, laughed and cleared his throat, looking at the piece of paper on his lap. “Okay, so there are rumors about 5 Seconds of Summer and Flames doing a collaboration. Can you guys confirm this?”

I looked at Ashton in confusion and he shrugged. “Uh,” he started, “Collaborating with Flames would be a really good project, but we’ve never planned anything like that.” He chuckled.

“Thank you for the suggestion, though. We’ll work on that.” I laughed along with Ashton. “But it will probably take us a while to do so because of the hectic weeks ahead.”

“Flames is actually filming a music video right now.” Nick said. “They tweeted a few photos just a few seconds ago.”

“We’re all running errands today, actually.” Ashton informed him. “Michael and Calum are at another interview and the rest of Flames are shooting a music video, and the crew are all catching up on sleep.”

“We’ve been working harder lately because of the sudden day off we decided to have at Venice.” I rolled in my lower lip, playing with the lip ring with the end of my tongue.

“Speaking of which,” Nick cleared his throat, shifting his weight in his seat. “How did you enjoy Venice? There were so many photos of you guys going around the Internet nonstop until today.”

“I loved Venice a lot.” Ashton declared, raising his arms to prove his point. “I love it this much,” he said, extending his arms wide.

“It was a really great experience, too.” I slapped away his arms that were blocking my face. “We got to meet tons of fans and were able to talk to them for a longer time than the usual during meet and greets.”

“And we got to be on Flames’s scrapbook!” Ashton almost squealed, excited.

“No way!” Nick laughed.

“Yes!” Ashton said eagerly. “Sam allowed us to finally be in a few pictures and it’s just really exciting.”

“The fans aren’t the only ones who want to be in the scrapbook.” I chuckled. “We got to have our own photos with them at the beach and sign our own page.”