12

ever enough - a rocket to the moon

[Luke]

The four in the morning vibe made her look even more beautiful. The windows were open with the curtains blowing in because of the cool wind, rustling her hair. Her eyes were twinkling whenever she got a chord right, brighter than all of the stars put together in the sky. She had forced me to play a song for her, and right in the middle of it, she eventually fell asleep with her head falling on my shoulder.

I finished the song until I sneaked a small, quick peck on her forehead before finally carrying her from the floor to my bed. I could have woken her up so that she could sleep in her own room, but I had a choice and I picked not to; I missed seeing her peacefully sleeping, her mouth slightly opened, and her steady breathing that somehow calmed me.

I lay her down on my bed carefully and put the comforters up to her chest, watching her squirm into a ball. I looked at her for a moment, inhaling deeply like it would help me remember everything before me. I watched her breathe for a minute or so until the picture of her sleeping burned in my mind forever. I was just about to climb to bed when there was a knock on my door, making me groan quietly.

“Luke?”

I joined my eyebrows together at the voice of Alice and opened the door hurriedly, revealing her face. She looked up at me with her brown eyes. “Are you with Ivey? She never came to our room.”

“Yeah,” I nodded to the direction of Ivey inside my room. “She kind of fell asleep here.”

Alice sighed in relief. “Jesus, I thought she was kidnapped again or smoking.”

“She was supposed to smoke, actually.” I shrugged. “Do you want to come in or something?”

She paused for a moment then nodded, biting her lip. “Yeah, we should talk.”

I stepped aside for her to enter and closed the door. Alice sat on the edge of my bed where Ivey’s feet were and placed them on her lap. I grabbed a stool from the desk and placed it across her, sitting down with a sigh and an expectant look.

“What do you want to talk about?” I asked, crossing my legs.

Alice exhaled slowly and looked at Ivey. “She went here?”

I nodded despite her not facing me. “Yeah, she did.”

“What did you guys do?” She questioned.

“I kind of taught her how to play the guitar.” I said quietly, looking down at my lap.

I heard Alice gasp quietly.  “How was it?”

I shrugged. “She was able to do, like, two chords.”

“Did it trigger anything?”

“No,” I said slowly, shaking my head. I finally looked up at her, seeing the sympathetic expression I’ve learned to dislike.

She sighed. “We really have to tell her, you know.”

I rolled my eyes. “No, we don’t have to.”

“Luke—“

“How are you and Michael?” I changed the topic quickly, cutting her off.

Alice’s cheeks flushed and her lips formed to a smile I’ve never seen before. “He’s so cute, Luke! I don’t know if he likes me and I don’t want to jump into conclusions or anything, but he’s been staying really close to me for the past few days and he always talks to me and hanging out with him is just so cool and—wait, you changed the topic!”