14

waiting for my sun to shine - the maine 

[Luke]

The lavatory’s door was being shaken open and urgent knocks came afterwards. 

“Hold on,” Ashton said as he tried to wash off the bloodstain below his mouth. “We’ll be out in a minute.”

“What were you two doing in there?” A familiar voice said from the other side of the door.

“Alice?” I leaned to the door. “Is that you?”

“Yeah, now are you going to tell me what happened in there?” Her voice was stern and I could imagine her face looking displeased.

“We just bumped into each other inside.” I swallowed hard.

“Cockroaches, you know?” Ashton added, only receiving a slap behind the head from me. “Ouch,” he whispered.

I heard a faint scoff from Alice. “Open this door right now.”

I looked at Ashton for approval and he shook his head violently. I sighed and quickly thought of an excuse. “Um, Alice, sorry, but this bathroom is strictly for boys.”

The door was kicked a few times. “Don’t make me paste a triangular piece of paper on the sign of this door.”

Ashton sighed and finally wiped off the water dripping down his jaw. “Okay, okay, I’m coming out.”

“Ashton’s gay?” Another voice came, although quite muffled.

“What?” Ashton knitted his eyebrows and opened the door hurriedly.

“Oh, coming out of the bathroom,” Ivey chuckled from behind Alice, who had a disappointed look on her face. “Jesus, that scared the shit out of me.” She walked away with a cup of coffee in one hand.

“Ivey thinks you’re gay.” I leaned down to Ashton with a smirk, nudging his waist with my elbow.

“She thinks you’re not her boyfriend.” He mirrored my smirk. “Shut up.”

“You guys fight like teenaged girls.” Alice groaned. “Now, did you two fight in there? We could hear a lot of noise and honestly, two guys making a lot of banging sounds in a bathroom doesn’t sound good.”

“We kind of settled things after.” Ashton shrugged.

“Yeah, sort of.” I nodded. “He likes my girlfriend.”

“You’re not her boyfriend.” He scoffed.

Alice rolled her eyes. “This is seriously what you’re worrying about? Half the people in this restaurant think you did something very gay in that bathroom and we had to explain to them that you weren’t.” She sighed and pulled us out of the restaurant. “Everyone’s in the bus already.”

The early morning sun shined down at us as we stepped out of the doors. There was surprisingly an amount of people waiting for us outside with cameras and papers to sign. We took a few photos with them quickly before running to the bus that looked like it was ready to leave us behind.

“I would have made you take a cab to Arizona if you took any longer.” Tuffy shook his head when we entered the bus.

“Good morning, Tuffy.” Alice gave him a peck on the cheek before maneuvering her way inside.

I nodded at him. “I’m not going to kiss you.”

“Don’t.” He shook his head quickly and started driving, making me jerk forward.