22

on the floor - the vamps

[Luke]

“Get some pussy, Luke!”

Mandy practically shouted at my face, her breath stinking of alcohol. We ended up at a club somewhere in the middle of Las Vegas, and frankly, I wasn’t enjoying myself. I was unfortunately the only sober one of the two bands—the only smart one as well, considering that we had a show the next day.

Michael nudged my waist from beside me. “She’s right!” He shouted over the music, nodding. “It’s not every day we’re at a club.”

“That’s the dream.” Calum said from my other side, raising his bottle.

The three of us leaned against the bar, watching a crowd of sweaty people on the dance floor move to the rhythm of the music, while Mandy slurred incomprehensible words in front of us. In all honesty, an intoxicated Mandy was much more entertaining than clammy young adults grinding against each other.

“You can’t waste your entire night depressed because of Ivey and Ashton.” Michael said to me, but his eyes stayed on Mandy.

“I’m not depressed because of Ivey and Ashton.” I defended myself and took a swig of beer.

“Hey, now, don’t go lying to us.” Calum’s eyebrows rose. “We’ve been friends since forever, do you really think we’d fall for that?”

“Yeah,” Michael agreed from the other side. “I can practically see your eyes glimmering with your past.” He looked up for additional drama, twinkling his eyes with a slight smirk.

“And you don’t drink when you’re upset, yet here you are.” Calum nodded at the bottle I cradled. “Drinking beer like it’s apple juice.”

“Well, whatever.” I shrugged. “I’m not depressed.” Total, complete, one hundred percent lie.

“Whatever you say, Pinocchio.” Michael snorted. “We see right through you.”

Calum quickly shifted to a softer expression. “Look, we get you, alright? We entirely understand why you’re all down and stuff, and we fully support you, but come on. Try to have a good time for a change tonight.”

Michael gave a single nod of approval. “Go flirt with girls in slutty dresses.” He suggested and tipped his bottle towards a group of giggling girls at the other side of the room. “Make out with someone in one of the sketchy bathroom stalls, write down your names at the bathroom mirror with her lipstick. Have a bit of fun, Lukey.” He teased.

I could feel my forehead heat up. My eyes were tired from all the rolling they’ve done, and I’ve run out of snorts and snickers. I raised my bottle in salutation to both of them. “Isn’t me drinking alcohol enough for the two of you already?”

Michael shrugged. “It’s one step. Baby steps, we get you.”

I was about to give my last irritated grunt with a sly, witty comeback when Alice and Ivey appeared behind the drunken Mandy before us.

“Hey, what’s up?” I pushed myself off the bar with my elbows and straightened my spine, smiling at the two.

Ivey’s eyes were bloodshot and she gave the tiniest smile, almost easy to miss, but remained silent. She wore what she looked best in: pitch-black, skintight garments that were skimpy yet somehow had a sophisticated touch.

She was hot and she knew it.

Bitch.

“Sam and Jackie are looking for you.” Alice notified Calum as she slipped her arms around Michael’s waist who was already enveloping a protective arm around her shoulders. “They want to show you something.”