16

the way we were - the summer set

[Luke]

“Luke.”

I looked up from the television set in the tour bus and saw Ashton leaning on one of the booths nearby with his fingers playing with a pen.

“Yeah?” I said after turning the box off with the remote.

He sighed and stepped further into the room, sitting down on the seat across mine. “We need to talk.”

I bit my lip to stop myself from groaning. “What do you want, Ashton? If this is about Ivey, I’m going to slap your face without hesitation.”

“I like her, Luke.” He said quietly. “I’m trying not to, but I like her. She’s just so nice to me.”

“Since when were the two of you friends, anyway?” I questioned. “You guys used to fight more than we do.”

Ashton paused for a moment, as if gathering his thoughts. “I’ve been having trouble sleeping lately.” He said slowly, “and Ivey’s always been there for me whenever I can’t. It’s hard not to have feelings for someone who cares so much about you.”

I nodded. “I know,”

“I really do like her, Luke.” He spoke faintly, like he didn’t want to wake anyone up. It was four in the morning, after all. “And I was wondering if it’s okay that I ask her out.”

“Ask her out?” I scoffed. “Michael and Alice are officially together and they haven’t even had the chance to go on a date.”

“We’re going back to California and we’ll have a few days off in San Francisco.” Ashton recited. “I was thinking of having dinner with her somewhere there.”

I could feel my fists turn into balls, but I held in the urge to hurt him. “She likes San Francisco.”

“I know,” there was a tiny smile playing on his lips. “So, is it okay with you if I ask her out?”

Ivey did seem a lot happier than usual, and she smiled more often. Maybe Ashton would do a better job than me, and maybe he would treat her better than I did. This time, with Ashton, Ivey could have a public relationship. Ivey could love someone and show it to the world. Ashton would treat her right and do better than me.

“Don’t hurt her.” I said.

Ashton looked taken aback. “Why would I do that?”

I shrugged. “Ashton, you sleep around with people and hate commitment.”

“Ivey’s different.” He flipped his head to get rid of the fallen hair on his eyes. “I don’t want to hurt her.”

“That’s what you always say.” I rolled my eyes. “I don’t want to see her hurt, and I don’t want you to be the reason behind it.”

“I’m not going to hurt your precious girlfriend.”

“See?” I pointed a finger at him, standing up. “She’s my girlfriend! Even you said so.”

“Shut up,” He hissed and I sat back down. “Again, Luke, for the millionth time, you are not her boyfriend.”

“Again, Ashton, for the millionth time, she is my girlfriend.” I mocked.

He sighed with impatience. “I really want to be with her, Luke. I’ve never felt this way before.”

“How do you feel?” I was disgusted by how he was talking about Ivey.