13

a shot across the bow - mayday parade 

[Luke]

“Give me that.” My voice came out more irritated than I intended it to. I grabbed Ivey’s cupcake from her hand and completely licked the white icing off with one swift movement of my tongue.

“Are you okay?” Ivey said cautiously.

I gave her back the bald cupcake on her empty hand that was still open. “Stupid cockroaches.” I muttered to myself. There were a few more sweets displayed on the kitchen counter of the bus and I couldn’t help but grab a handful of M&Ms and stuff them all in my mouth.

“Luke, are you stress eating?” Ivey chuckled lightly. She put a careful hand on my forearm. “What’s wrong?”

I shook my head violently, keeping my eyes on the food. “I’m okay.”

“You’re not.” She whispered.

“I am,” I glared at her, not wanting to discuss the subject. “Why are you here anyway? Shouldn’t you be with your boyfriend?” I didn’t want to be angry with her, but her obliviousness made me impatient.

“He’s not my boyfriend.” She chewed on her lip.

I rolled my eyes. “You don’t have to lie, you know. I saw you guys making out at the couch last night.”

Her lips parted. “He was the one who—“

“I don’t want an explanation, okay?” I huffed. “For God’s sake, you have his bandana on.” I rolled my eyes at the cloth wrapped around her forehead.

“Why are you so mad about this?” She frowned and put a hand on her hip, her face turning serious. 

“You wouldn’t understand.” I snorted a laugh.

“Then explain.” She demanded.

“No,” I retorted.

“What the hell, Luke?” She half-shouted in annoyance. “You’re mad at me and you won’t tell me why?”

“Yeah, pretty much.” I looked at her with not much emotion. “The world doesn’t have all the explanations, get used to it.”

“You can’t get mad at me for no reason!” She looked angry, her cheeks burning red.

“I do have a reason!” I leveled my voice with hers.

“Then tell me!” She practically begged, slamming her cupcake on the kitchen table.

“No,” I whispered.

“Why not?”

“It’s just going to make things worse.”

--

“She’s my girlfriend, asshole!” I shouted at Ashton’s face, pushing his entire body to the bathroom door.

He squirmed under my hold, trying to escape. “Are you her boyfriend? I don’t think so!”

“Shut up!” I screamed, adding more pressure to his shoulders even though we both knew there wasn’t any space left for me to shove him in further.

“When are you going to be happy for me, Luke?” Ashton looked at me in the eyes, which only made me angrier; the color resembled Ivey’s, except a darker shade.

“I’ll be happy for you when you stop stealing my own happiness.” I spat, finally letting him go.

“Luke, I like her. She likes me.” He sighed.