Champion Selection

Written 16/7/2014

{Champion Selection}

Since the announcement of the Tri-Wizard tournament the school was in excitement. All except Anertha, not only was her brother going to enter but the twins were going to attempt to break whatever rules to enter. God knows how that would end. The morning Cedric put his name in the cup, Anertha has begged him not too.

"Please Ced, don't be stupid. Do you know what could happen? You could die!"

Cedric rolled his eyes at his sister.

"Come on, you sound like mum, relax sis." He smiled childishly at her.

"Ced, come on man, leave the Gryff alone, she's not worth it. Don't fraternise with the enemy." Came a voice from his Hufflepuff mates, their laughter ringing in her ears. Cedric frowned at them and pursed his lips angrily.

"That's my sister you're insulting!" He snapped. His so called friends were soon quiet. "Thanks." Anertha muttered, embarrassed.

"Family first right? Now, smile and let it go, I may not be picked." He hugged her and left with his group. Anertha had been so distracted, she didn't notice Fred and George enter the great hall, and the commotion that followed. She heard laughter erupt from behind her and the chants.

"Fight! Fight!"

She turned to find two boys with white beards rolling around on the floor. It took her a moment to click on, then she rolled her eyes when she realised it was Fred and George. "Stop it!" She hissed at them as she placed herself between them.

The boys sat on the floor glaring at each other, then burst into uncontrollable laughter. Anertha sighed, she really wasn't in the mood for the twins right now, but the sight of them old did make her smile slightly.

"Come on, get up." She began to help them up. "You look ridiculous." She frowned, resisting the urge to say I told you so. She had warned them this wasn't ready for them to use and that it wouldn't work. Her and Fred had fallen out a little over it.

"Glimpse into the future, still want Fred now?" George winked. Anertha rolled her eyes yet again, if there was a muscle for eye rolling, she was sure to pull it. She didn't answer George as she pushed them out of the hall towards the common room. The twins exchanged a look that she ignored.

"How long will this take to wear off?" She inquired.

"Not a clue." Fred pursed his lips in thought.

"Wonderful." she muttered.

A few weeks passed and Anertha's worry began to bubble over, she could barely sit still as they all gathered in the great hall for the champion selection.

"An, stop squirming..." Fred moaned from beside her, his tolerance had begun to wear thin, all she had done was complain about it.

"I can't, what if he does get chosen?" She bites her nails, nervous, her gaze flickering over to where the Hufflepuff's sat.

"Then you will put a smile on that face of yours and be supportive..." He rubbed his temples, showing he was getting fed up of the same conversation.

She sat still, shoulders slumped forwards as she stared at the goblet with her lips slightly pouted.

Dumbledore brought the room to silence, his voice bouncing off the flagstone walls.

It was time.

Cedric turned his head to face her and smiled, shooting her a wink. Her mouth tried to smile but she couldn't. She was scared.

One by one the champions were chosen. The suspense mounting.

"The Hogwarts champion..."

She took a breath, it felt like time had slowed, she closed her eyes and prayed.

"Cedric Diggory."

"No..." She croaked. The hall erupted in cheers, Anertha sat quiet and wide eyed. Fear present. She watched as her brother stood with a proud smile, he looked to her and his face fell momentarily. The one person he needed support from more than anyone else could not bring a smile to her face, she shook her head, wetness covering her eyes. He plastered on a fake smile as he made his way up front and disappearing into the small room of the hall. He turned around once to meet his sister's eyes. She was frozen. She remained so throughout the Harry fiasco, she vaguely remembered hearing the gasps and shouts as his name was called but she didn't care, her attentions were elsewhere.

"An?" Fred took her hand and waved his hand in front of her face.

"What?" She snapped back into reality and met his concerned gaze. Realisation hit his features and he sighed. He shook his head and cupped her face in his.

"He will be fine. Be proud..."

She shook her head free, she wasn't in the mood for his half caring attitude. She turned away and stormed away, heading for the small hall that the room Cedric went into led out of.

"Anertha..." Fred called after her but gave up after she ignored him three times. "Whatever..." He shrugged, he knew better than to push her.

"Annie..." Cedric emerged from the small room, his hair ruffled, pain on his face. She threw herself around him, crying lightly.

"I can't do this without your support An.." He pulled her back and looked down at her. "You're my rock, my blood, I need you." He pleaded with her.

She choked on her own breath but nodded. She was being selfish, this wasn't about her.

'I will try, for you."

Cedric smiled and held her close, squeezing her tight.

"I love you An.."

"I love you too Ceddie."

Their sibling moment got interrupted by the pretty blonde French girl informing Cedric the reporter Rita Skeeter was ready for his interview.

"See you later?"

She nodded and the pair parted ways.

She headed back to the common room. It buzzed with the talk of Harry and Cedric. Anertha groaned as she collapsed into an armchair off to the side.

"Guess who..." A pair of hands covered her eyes in an instant.

"Fred....get off..." She rolled her eyes.

"Still pissed huh?" He raised a brow and folded his arms. "Honestly An you gotta get over this, it's tiring and the tournament hasn't even started yet!" He snapped.

"What if it was George?!" She stood, speaking harshly under her breath so they were not overheard. "You would be just as concerned as I am about my brother! I don't care of this pisses you off Fred! Family comes first!" She seethed before pushing him out of her way and storming to her dorm. She threw the door open and collapsed on her bed, tears falling free. She hated this, every second of it.