Poor George loses his ear

Written 5/9/2013

George loses his ear.

It was the longest wait. Not knowing was the worst. 'Anertha stop pacing.' Mrs Weasley said as she held her head in her hands, exhausted. 'It is not good for you and your unborn children, now sit.' She instructed. Anertha perch on the nearest stool but she stared at the door. 'Mum!' Ginny called from the living room. 'It's harry and Hagrid!' They all rushed out the front of the house to see a wet Hagrid and Harry walking towards them. They looked slightly distressed. 'Harry! Hagrid!' Molly rushed towards them. Ginny followed. Anertha stayed put in the doorway, listening. Her heart froze when Hagrid uttered the words 'They were on us right from the start Molly.' Fred and Arthur were due back a while ago. Hagrid and Molly came walking towards her. 'Come on dear in we go.' Her voice was slightly shaky as she led Anertha and Hagrid inside, leaving Harry and Ginny outside.

They had barely made it into the study area when Remus and Harry came struggling into the house. George hung weary between them, semi conscious and covered in blood. 'Oh my boy.' Molly rushed to her son as they placed him on the sofa. Anertha stood in shock as she peered over the back of it, looking down at George. 'His ear.' She muttered. Molly fussed over her son, running her fingers through his hair. Anertha placed a hand on his shoulder in comfort. She began to panic again. Where the hell was Fred? She jumped out of her thinking when Remus threw Harry against the wall. He only let him go once he knew he wasn't an imposter. 'We've been betrayed. Voldemort knew you were being moved tonight, I had to make sure you weren't an imposter.' He breathed heavily, looking from Molly to Anertha. They heard a crack from outside. More of them were arriving back. Anertha closed her eyes in hope.

She looked up from George when she heard others entering the house. Her heart gave a delighted skip when Fred walked through the door behind Arthur. His face pale and his eyes focused on his twin in concern. She breathed a sigh of relief as Fred threw himself in front of his brother. The twins shared a delicate moment as Fred made sure his brother was ok. Everyone stayed quiet. This was their moment. 'How you feeling Georgie?' He asked shakily. 'Saint like.' Fred's face creased in confusion. 'Come again?' 'Saint like. I'm holey. I'm holey Fred get it?' George smirked. Fred, Molly and Anertha chuckled slightly. 'The whole wide world of ear related humour and you go for I'm holey? That's pathetic.' He smiled. 'Reckon I'm still better looking than you.' George managed to smile. Anertha loved seeing the twins like this. It was rare but it reminded her just how much they did love each other. The mood was changed when Bill stepped forward declaring Mad-Eye's death. The whole room went into shock.

Molly ushered everyone into the kitchen for drinks and rest. 'Anertha can you sort George out?' Anertha nodded looking at him, wincing slightly. Fred was still crouched on floor. George pointed weakly at Anertha. Fred looked up and realised his fiancée was in the room. He stood hastily and threw his arms around her, holding onto her lovingly. 'Sorry.' She shook her head. 'Don't be. If that was Ced I wouldn't have noticed you either.' Fred looked pained at her. He squeezed her tight again before kissing her hard. George whimpered from the couch. Anertha stepped away from Fred and walked to George. 'Fred can you get the bandage?' Fred pulled a roll from the draw and took it to her. 'I am going to need your help.' Fred lifted his brother to a sitting position. George was terribly pale and his face was contorted in pain. Anertha sat on one side of him, Fred on the other. George leant weakly against him as Anertha cleaned his wound and healed what she could before bandaging it up tight. She picked up a small cork from the table. 'This is going to hurt.' She warned. She pushed the cork into the gap in George's ear. George gritted his teeth hard to stop from screaming in pain. Fred had tears forming as he watched the pain his brother was suffering. Anertha smiled apologetically. 'All done. I think you need to rest now. Fred? Can you manage to get him upstairs.' Fred nodded sheepishly as he lifted George. The pair made their way to the stairs slowly.

Fred returned after a while looking pale and worn. Anertha hadn't moved from the sofa. She was too tired to move. It had been a traumatic evening. Fred collapsed next to her on the couch and slumped backwards sleepily. He lifted an arm and gestured for her to join him. She slid into his arm and settled her head on his chest. He wrapped his arm tightly around her. His hand resting on her bump, gently rubbing it. She put her hand in his so they both traced the curve of her stomach. He rested his chin upon her head. They sat in silence enjoying each others company. Fred eventually, with this other hand, lifted Anertha's face to his and kissed her gently at first then more passionately. 'Oh, sorry.' Came Molly's voice out of nowhere. 'I was just making sure you were alright.' She had gone a light shade of crimson and Anertha felt herself going the same. 'Where is George?' She inquired. 'Asleep upstairs.' Fred answered, wishing she would walk back out the room. She did. The couple laughed quietly before locking lips again. 'I'm so glad you're safe.' She whispered to him as she looked deeply into his eyes. 'I wouldn't leave you three. I told you that.' He answered. They felt one of their twins kick. Anertha froze slightly before laughing. 'I think someone approves.' They smiled at each other. Fred bent forward and kissed her bump. 'Bed?' He asked tired. Anertha nodded. 'Oh yes.' The pair said goodnight to the rest of the family and remaining order members before heading for the privacy of their room.