The Memorial Room

Written 15/6/2013

The Memorial Room (future)

After the TWT Professor Dumbledore placed a portrait of Cedric Diggory in the entrance hall with a plague that read 'Cedric Diggory, aged 17: A beloved son, brother and friend.' Anertha treasured this gesture from the headmaster. It kept Cedric in everyone's memory, her worst fear was that he would be forgotten. Come the end of the battle of Hogwarts this portrait was in ruins. McGonagall took it upon herself to honour all those that had passed by building a memorial room. A room that held the portraits of all those who lost their lives on Hogwarts grounds. Near the centre of the room Cedric's portrait was restored and placed beside that of his now departed sister and her husband, a sorry sight for any Weasley that entered this room. George only entered once, as it was too much for him to bear. He stood empty in front of Fred's, he noticed that his portrait was not close enough to Anertha's, so took it upon himself to correct it. In life the pair were always touching, whether it was a hand, shoulder to shoulder or just simply heel to heel. George felt it should be the same in death, so he placed the frames next to each other so they were touching, he would later insist their graves were the same way. He left the room hastily, although Fred and Anertha's faces were smiling down on him in this room, all he saw was the pale dead faces on the floor of the great hall. No Weasley entered that room after that. That was until the day the twins started Hogwarts, they had been told about this room by their uncle and were curious to see it. As they entered they felt kind of sad, the room was dark, only lit by a few lanterns. They inspected every portrait they came across. Young Cedric II stopped and read a plague on the wall 'Fred Weasley, aged 20: Beloved son, brother, husband and father.' 'I think we found him.' Whispered George II sadly. The pair looked up at their father, tears in their eyes. They had seen pictures of their parents but this was different, it was a reminder that they would never meet them. George stepped across to the painting on the left of Fred's, the frames were touching, a blue eyed woman looked down at him. 'Anertha Diggory-Weasley, aged 20: Beloved daughter, sister, wife and mother.' He read quietly. That was how they got their double surname, why hadn't their uncle explained that? 'Ced, I found mum.' Cedric joined his brother beneath his mother, she was as beautiful as their family described. 'Whose that? He looks a lot like mum.' Cedric asked pointing at the portrait of a young boy. George read his plague quickly and gasped. 'That's uncle Cedric.' The pair looked up in awe. They had never seen a picture of him before, they were all lost when their mother died, the only ones that remained were those in her album she kept in her room, but uncle George removed it and kept it safe, refusing to let anyone touch it or open it, he would say 'It was the most personal thing she had and it would be wrong to go snooping it in.' They wished so much that these portraits would talk like the others in the school, but they never did, no matter how many times they came and visited.