Chapter 23

Dylan's POV

We were singing at my car to the tune of 'Happy'. Actually, the two ladies were singing, Dan's humming and I'm just plain driving.

"Come on Dy! Sing with us!" Ashley said.

"I don't know that song." I can do a lot of things but singing's not one of them. Our music teacher said I have a good tempo but I just can't sing. However, chicks do dig my raspy voice.

Ashley pouted and made a puppy eyes which I can't resist. "Ok! Ok!" They all squealed in delight. "La la la... happy! ... Blah la la happy! There!" I said. "Happy Now?" I joked as the song came to end.

"Very sweetie! Very happy!" Ashley cooed. She then took her seat belt of and began kissing my jaw.

"Eeew! Get a room guys!" Dan and An said at the same time.

"Since you two get a long so well... why don't you hook up so we can all be happy!" Ashley said but continued to kiss me.

"Hey Ash! I'm really enjoying what you are doing but you need to stop and put your seat belt back on." She pouted again but I'm glad she obeyed because the next series of events changed our lives.

As I was about to cross the intersection after the light changed from red to green, everything suddenly went black.

The next thing I knew, I was lying in hospital bed with my father sitting besides me.

"What happened?" I managed to to ask. My whole body hurt like shit and my throat was dry. "Where's Ashley?" I tried to get up but my body wont move.

"Relax kid!" My father tried to calm me down but he can't. My mind was on Ashley. I can't relax until I know what's wrong with her.

"Don't tell me to relax! Where's Ashley!" My adrenaline was kicking in and I might have pulled and IV or broke a suture but it doesn't matter, all I can think about was Ashley.

"She's okay!" He said but I don't believe him. He was just trying to assure me but it wasn't working.

"I don't believe you! Where is she...?" I was not able to complete my sentence as I succumb into darkness. Freaking father of mine pushed the sedative.

I don't have any idea how long I was out again, but this time I'm feeling much better. It was then that I realized that my ribs could be broken as it was hard to breath. I felt heavy on my left arm and saw a cast on it. This time I tried to calm down because I don't want them to sedate me again.

"Dad?"

"Hey cub! You feeling better?"

"Where's Ashley?" I hoped she was ok. I won't be able to forgive myself if something happened to her.

"Look at your cast." I was confused at his words but I just did what he said.

My uneasiness subsided when I saw the scribbles in my cast.

Rest well my love! - xxx Ash xxx

I also saw some scribbles of signed by Dan and Andrea. I was relieved to find out they were ok.

"What happened?" As far as I remember, we were on a car and were singing then the rest was blank.

"Your car was t-boned." He started. "Someone hit you from your side and then you hit the pole. The air bags saved your lives."

"It was all thanks to Dan! She modified that car."

"That too! Your car had the body of a hummer! That pick-up didn't stand a chance." He then laughed. I didn't know that my cousin went that far. "It was deliberate. There were no skid marks that the pick-up tried to stop, it actually sped up until the pole stopped both car."

"And I bet the driver's name is Chris." I deadpanned. I have this gut feeling that the idiot was behind this mess.

"Yes, he is."

"How's the idiot?"

"Lying on next door. After he hit your car, he and another guy tried to pull and kidnap Ashley. Good thing Gio and Patrick got to you. They restrain them until the ambulance and police arrive."

"Finally, they got to have some action." Now that I knew that my important persons were alright, I can relax in peace. I need to recuperate fast so I can beat the hell out of Chris.

"Yeah. I took care of Chris and Ben. They won't be seeing the light of day anytime soon. I made sure they won't be able to make bail." As far as I remember, Ben was the mayor's son. I'm dying to know how the mayor will play this game. His son and nephew really screwed up.

"Thank's Dad!" Was the last thing I said before I let my body succumb into darkness.

A month had passed and unfortunately, I still need to wear the cast. The used to be white cast was now full of drawings and scribble. Leo and Mike also visited me while I was in the hospital.

Dan, Ash and An only had minor cuts and bruises all thanks to the air bags that my cousin installed. As far as I remember, it got around eight air bags. It also helped that the body of the car was solid and sturdy. I got the most injury due to the fact that the car hit my side.

I was also thankful of my dad, if it were not for his guards, I would have been turning the city inside out just to find my girl. That idiot really messed up big time.

Speaking of that idiot, their parents left them to tend for themselves. It was too much for them. They can't take the disgrace and embarrassment that they brought to their family. One other factor was when they found out who they were dealing with. People in the business feared my father's name.

They were both incarcerated with attempted murder, attempted kidnapping and serious physical injuries. They were also tried as an adult. The cocaine found in their cars also added their crime. They were sentenced to life without parole.

"What are you thinking?" Ashley said. We were up in the tree house as I laid on her lap as she watched An and Dan play in the lake.

"We almost died." I have never feared death. As a matter of fact, I chased it. However, when Ashley came into my life, I can't help but think my life without her.

"I know." She caressed my hair and I closed my eyes to savor the feelings.

"I almost lost you." I whispered.

"You too."

"Hey Ash!" I then sat up, cupped her cheeks and looked directly into her eyes. "I know this isn't the most romantic way of asking you this but..." I paused, knealed on one knee and stared directly at her. "Will you be my wife?" I then took out the ring that I have been keeping for a week now.

I was afraid that it was too soon. I know it was too early, but I won't be able to live without her. We don't need to get married soon, I just needed to know that she'll be with me forever.

"Yes!" Was her monosyllabic response.

My father's going to have a field day!

END.

The sequel's up! :)