Chapter 18

Dylan's POV

I used to hate rains a lot when we were young. It hindered us from playing outside. My cousin on the other hand loves it because it gave her an excuse to stay in and play with her computer.

However, the rain had been my comfort especially in a day like today. This day was one of the most unforgettable day in my life.

"It's been so long now." I whispered.

"I've been great! You won't believe the stuff that happened in a single week and school just got started." I paused and took a deep breath. "I know now how you felt about high school. How those kind of people treated you. But I'm handling it well. It's actually quiet funny fooling them."

I kneeled in front of the marble stone and continued my story. "I have been re-acquainted with old friends and gained new ones. At the same time, I also gained a new enemy. This one was annoying as hell but he's just a dog who barks a lot. He can't bite."

"I also met this girl. I really don't like her at first. But as you always said, never to judge a book with it's cover. She was too a victim of change and social norm. Even though we were rich and loaded, I never felt so alone like she does. I really like her. I know you'll like her too."

"I really missed you mom. I wish you were here." I whispered as I touched the cold marble tombstone of my mother.

It had been exactly six years when deranged and greedy man took away the most important person in my life. And the worst thing was... we trusted him. He was an important father figure in my life until he loss his conscience to the devil. He became alcoholic, drug addict and gambler. As the eldest child, he was supposed to inherit the family empire but because of his wrong turn, my grandfather changed his will and gave all power to my father.

Uncle got angry and confronted my father who suggested he get clean and then they will talk again. But it was futile. My uncle walked out and was never seen again until this day, six years ago.

Danielle and I were just twelve.

My father was on a trip and Dan was out at our spot behind the library. My mother and I was left alone at our mansion, she was teaching me how to bake cookies to surprise my father who should be coming home later in the everning, when my uncle suddenly showed up. The head security knew him so they let him in. My father never ordered protection against him or suspected him to be hostile. Little did they know, that it's was the biggest mistake in their lives.

The securities and helpers fell down as my uncle marches towards us, gun with silencer on hand. A loud scream alerted the securities and us however, they were too late. It had already been a massacre. The maid who screamed also died with a bullet in her head.

It was then that my uncle found was. My mother used her body to shield me.

One shot.

Two shots.

Three shots.

It took three bullets to the body before my mother fell down. And as I laid under her, she said to me her last words.

"Be happy!"

I wanted to cry.

I wanted to scream.

But I frozed. In fear. In shock. In the reality that my mother was robbed from me.

My deranged uncle finally noticed me and pointed the gun at me. He was about to shoot when he fell down as a shot echoed the house. It was the head security. He killed my uncle.

The police were never called.

My father hired a private party to clean up the mess.

My mother was given a solem funeral. She had no other relatives, therefore, it was only my father, Dan and I.

We left the mansion and nobody knew what really happened.

It was now considered as a hunted house for the kids in that area.

Tears overflowed my duct and I'm grateful to the rain that covered them up. I promised to her grave that I will never cry again, but I can't help myself everytime this day would come.

"You'll get sick if you continue to bathe in the rain. And you know she won't like it." A raspy voice who I knew so well said. The rain stopped flowing on me as he covered me with umbrella.

"I miss her so much." I told him.

"I miss her too." I then stood up and enveloped each other in a tight embrace.

"Dad!"

We broke up the hug and observed each other. He had grown so old over a short period of time. He loved my mother so much that he buried himself to his work and his carreer in order to relieved the pain.

"You really looked like your mother when you put your hair in a bun like that. And the glasses too." My parents met in high school. My mother was a scholar and the biggest nerd in the school and my father was one of the riches and hottest guy. They met when my father need some tutoring. They fell in love. Many girls, hated my mom and they made her life hell when my father was not there to protect her. But in the end, they prevail. They got married after high school and got me a few more years later after collage.

"I know. It's my way of honoring her dad." The reason that I projected this image was because I idolized my mother. She was really a great person. "And I know it pains you to see an exact image of her." The reason that we don't live with each other was because the more I mature, the more I look like my mother and it pained me to see him hurting. We both decided it's best to live independently but we kept in contact from time to time.

"I missed you so much. You've grown so tall and beautiful." He said. "How have you been?"

"Oh come on dad! Your lackeys aren't too discreet you know. I can feel them from the distance. I knew you have been keeping tabs on me." My father then glared at his right hand man which made me laugh.

He laughed too.

We all laughed.

And it was such a nice feeling.

"You had a rough week. And it's just getting started." He finally said, breaking the ice.

"Yeah! It was a rollercoaster ride. I was suck into this black hole without even realizing it." I responded. It felt great to spend some time with him.

"Kid." He then became serious. "You messed with a very influencial boy. You need to be careful."

"I know. But I know I don't need to worry... coz I have you... right?"

"Damn right you have."

"Language dad!'

We all laughed again.

"I need to go. Take care of yourself." He said and walked away. He was escorted in the black SUV that was parked outside the family cemetery. This place was were all of our relatives were buried. Only family lies in this field. I even already has a spot. "Oh... and I wanted to meet your girl friend soon!' He teased.

"She's not my girlfriend!" I yelled.