Chapter 8

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...... the real plot starts here the twists and plots I don't know what I'm saying I'm weird and fucked up ok here you go!!!

Looking back, Marco would feel like he should have seen all this coming. After he had left Star's room after the kiss, he was terrified that things would have become weird between them. But to his great relief, they hadn't. In fact, it was becoming harder and harder for him to imagine what it would be like for there to be any discomfort between himself and Star. He felt like he fit in so naturally with her. Which is why he should have known she was going to be taken away.

It all began when Star finally got her spellbook back from Marco's father. She had wanted to see if there was a spell to help her sunburn heal, since it was still bothering her a few days after Marco had given her the lotion. Mr. Diaz had seemed oddly reluctant at first, but finally relented. "The little man who lives in that book, you know, he has such an odd sense of humor."

"You mean Glossaryck?" Star tilted her head to the side. "He's been a friend of my parent's for a while. He is a little weird."

"Oh. Your parents know him?" Mr. Diaz seemed a little nervous. "Well, here's your book."

The minute Star and Marco had her spellbook back in her room, it practically tore itself open. Glossaryck came rocketing out. He seemed paler than the last time Marco had seen him. "PRINCESS," he said, upon seeing Star. "Oh, thank god, you're safe."

"Of course I'm safe. Why wouldn't I be safe? What's wrong?"

"You're not safe because..." but Glossaryck doubled over in pain, unable to continue.

"Whoa, are you okay?" Marco asked, reaching out for the small wizard.

"GET AWAY FROM ME," screeched Glossaryck. "Princess, you are NOT safe here, th-" and here, Glossaryck began puking up snakes.

"Oh my GOD," said Marco, as Star recoiled in horror.

"Ugh...Princess..." Glossaryck coughed, one last snake dangling from his mouth. "Okay, listen. Check the...STUDYHRRRRRK," A fresh wave of snakes poured from his mouth.

"The study? My dad's study? Why, what's in there?" Marco narrowed his eyes at the small creature. He wasn't exactly known for being trustworthy. "Only his art stuff should be in there."

"JUST LOOK," Glossaryck was doubled over in the fetal position, clutching his stomach. "And Princess! Keep your wand by you at ALL TIMES!"

"Well, I always do. I mean half the time it's in my mouth."

"JUST BE EXTRA CAREFUL! OH GOD, IT BURNS!"

Star gave Marco a look of concern as the little wizard closed the spellbook around himself again. "I've never really seen him like this."

"What do you think could be in my dad's study? Do you think Ludo teleported in there to try to get the spellbook again?"

Star raised her wand grimly. "Well, there's only one way to find out."

Marco stalked his way down the hallway to his father's study, Star close behind him. He had thought about getting his father, who was out mowing the lawn, but then decided against it, not wanting to involve him in whatever danger was behind the closed doors. The hallway seemed darker, longer than it usually was. The doors to the study were these huge dark wooden doors, with all sorts of weird things carved into them - skeletons and gargoyles and such. Marco remembered that his dad had been delighted when he got these doors, calling them a masterpiece. Right now, they seemed more sinister than ever. They opened with a long, loud creak.

There was nothing in the study. Just his father's desk, which was similar to the doors - dark wood and odd carvings, the legs four clawed feet. On one corner lay an intricately detailed painted skull. Strangely enough, there was no sign of a painting or a sculpture in progress. Marco's father had been locked away in the study for a while, and that usually meant he had a new art project underway. But there was no sign of anything like this.