Chapter 1

The sound of an engine sputtering made a young woman look up to see a car barely roll in to the shop, smoke steaming out of the hood. "Hello, Mr. Esquivel, your engine busted again?"  "Yeah, Papa thinks it's the belt again, Selene." A young boy with glasses said as he hopped out. Selene smiled, carefully squeezing the boy's shoulders in a comforting manner. "Well, let's see what we're dealing with." Selene popped the hood up and got to work. Raf sat nearby, handing her any tool she asked for, as well as talked about things like school. Selene and Raf were actually good friends, having met at the library. He couldn't reach a book he needed for research on a project, and her standing at 6'10", she helped him out. Jasper Nevada was a pretty tight community, so everyone knew eachother. Selene knew two of Raf's friends; Jack Darby, who she knew through his mom, June, who worked as a nurse at the hospital, and Miko Nakadia, a Japanese exchange student at their school. She didn't know the girl as well as Jack and Raf, but they got along well. "Hey Raf, tomorrow's my day off, why don't we go have some fun?" "Yeah, that'd be awesome." Selene laughed as she finished the last of the repairs. She watched the car go, pleased that she could help. As she walked to her car, she felt off, like something or someone was watching her. She looked around to be safe, hand subconsciously Going to the small blue pendant around her neck. She'd never taken off since she was three. She drove home, feeling like something was going to happen. Something big.