Nicole Row x Reader - Bar Date

Start from the beginning

The night was cool, but not uncomfortably cold as you made your way from the fenced parking lot of the venue out onto the street. You were quietly involved in a conversation about tonight's show and you had a feeling that it would be an amazing first date, if you could call a drink at a bar a date.

Not even an hour later that feeling was gone completely. You had made the conscious decision not to walk into the first bar you found since that was where the rest of the band and crew were doubtlessly spending the evening. Instead you had walked a few blocks further down the street until you found a cozy looking Irish pub. You always had had a weakness for Irish pubs. This one, just as most others you had been in, had a homey atmosphere. The walls were made out of big stones, the counter made of dark wood that had been polished until it reflected the green fairy lights that were hanging from the shelves that were lined with different kind of whiskeys and other spirits. The tables and chairs were made out of the same dark wood as the counter and soft, dark green cushions made sitting a comfort. Even though it was summer , a warm fire burnt in the fireplace at the other side of the room. The owner of the pub was an elderly, roundish man with red cheeks, white hair and a friendly smile. He offered the two of you a table in the corner of the room, away from a loudly chatting group of young men.

Nicole had ordered a Guinness and you were sipping a dandelion lemonade (who knew these things existed) while you were snacking on the peanuts that the pub owner had placed on the table for both of you. It was a calm conversation, the nervousness from earlier was forgotten. You continued slipping compliments into the discussion, every time watching proudly how Nicole blushed a little and looked away, trying not to grin too brightly. Everything was working out wonderfully and you loved the buzz her company was giving you, the constant little butterflies that happily fluttered around your stomach. You were even holding her hand by now; she had made a stupid joke about herself and you had assured her that reality was far from what she just had said. You had taken the opportunity and placed your hand over hers that was resting on the table. For a moment you had been afraid she might pull away, but she had interlocked her fingers with yours instead, another hint of a blush creeping on her cheeks.

And then the door to the pub had jumped open and in had come a small crowd of ten people, all loudly laughing and cheering. At first it had not bothered you. They were just having fun. But then one of them started pointing into your direction. At first you had thought it would be fans of the band, who had been at the concert and recognized Nicole. But the truth was a little more upsetting than that.

After pointing to Nicole they quickly talked for a moment before they made their way over to where you were sitting.

"Nicole, is that you?" a tall man with ginger hair had asked. Nicole had turned around and you did not even have to see her face to know it was lighting up with a bright smile. She had jumped up and hugged the man, and then all the others as well, inviting them to sit with the two of you, before she introduced them. Apparently they were old friends of hers, people she had not seen in person for a few years. Everyone was absolutely delighted at that unexpected reunion, and you did not mind at first. You were happy for Nicole to have met some old friends of hers.

You should have realized that your peaceful evening alone with the beautiful girl opposite you was utterly destroyed, when one of her friends suggested to move to a bigger table so all of you could sit comfortable and not crowded around a small table in the corner. You were okay with that, curious to learn more about Nicole's past, but then you ended up on the other end of the table, as far away from her as possible. You wanted to ask her friends to change places with you, but you did not find the courage. Also you had noticed that she had introduced you as a colleague, not as a friend or even date. You were a little hurt by that, since you considered her your friend, but she probably had a good reason for that. For a while it was a merry party, everyone was talking about what they had been up to since they last saw Nicole and you listened intently. But then the conversation got carried away to these people's jobs, their families, their relationships and the latest gossip. No one ever made the slightest attempt of talking to you and you did not know what to contribute to the conversation either, since you were a complete stranger to all of them.