FORTY|SELFISH

I watched him beat her

I watched him beat her like I had seen so many others do before.

-And just like all those times, all I could do was stand and watch... Helpless to help the poor girl.

I remembered hearing her screams as they raped her, I lay awake at night in my bed, pretending that I couldn't hear them, that I couldn't feel her cries on every bone of my body.

The next day, I would act as thought nothing had happened. How could I possibly bring it up to her?

She wasn't as strong as she seemed, and I knew that.
She got by, but only just. To bring up the truth would be to destroy her walls, her supports. She would come crashing down. She would break.

Everything that she had spent so long building would be destroyed in a matter of moments.

Alpha Jackson was ruthless, but only in the sense that he knew when to stop, but he never did. Not in the sense of the power often associated with the word. No. He was weak, and that was why he hid behind such a cold facade.

The sad thing was that he never used to be this way, it was only after his mate killed herself. A cruel and selfish act, throwing herself to the bottom of the Red Bridge chasm, along with their two children. One a young girl, no older than five. The other, fresh from the womb, a newborn less than two days old.

Selfish bitch.

Though I guess that I was the same, in a way.
-Selfish, that is.

I not only had a mate, Rosalie. -But now that I had seen Amelia once more, I knew that I had to have her too. I couldn't resist.

The first night I saw her, blood red was always her colour. I remembered seeing the scarlet tears drop from her finger tips the time that they busted her lip.

Tears glinted in her eyes, though I knew that she would never let them fall, not in front of me. She raised a shaking hand to her lip, a crimson droplet crawling onto her finger and down into the palm of her hand.

I wanted to visit her in the infirmary after her fight with Alpha Jackson, but Hades had not left her sight from the moment she fell unconscious. It had only been three hours since he carried her limp body into the sterile, white room, yet still I felt empty.
I felt worried...

"You seem tense."

Rosalie sat up on the bed behind me, rubbing the last remnants of sleep from her weary eyes. I held my head in my hands, perched on the edge of the bed.

Her small hands began to massage my shoulders. -But the sparks that were meant to be comforting somehow began to tie my stomach in a knot. Anxiety weighed upon my chest, I couldn't breathe.

I stood up abruptly, turning to see her purses lips and glassy eyes, trying her best to look indifferent but I knew that she was upset. "Sorry." I grunted. "I have to go."

I couldn't offer her any explanation.
After all, what could I possibly tell her?
Sorry, I have to go visit my... my...

What was Amelia to me? I didn't even know.
She was so much more to me than a friend...
-But a lover?..I wasn't so sure.

My feet found their own way through the winding passageways until I stood before the infirmary door.

I hesitated, almost raising my hand to knock before thinking better of it. Hades would be in there no doubt. Had she told him who I was to her?

I hoped that the girl had at least a little common sense and had not.

I pushed through the doors and there she lay, not even ten feet from where I stood

Hades wasn't there. But he would no doubt be back soon, I had to be quick.

Her raven hair was spread around her in a way that was almost akin to a halo, but not a pure one. Her halo was one of darkness, of lies, lust and deceit.

Even though she was surrounded my so much darkness, her face was so pure. Her olive skin to smooth and unblemished. Slight freckles speckled the bridge of her nose and the tops of her cheeks. Thick black lashes swept over the top of her cheek bones.

At least, that was how she had looked before.

Now her once tanned skin looked pale and sickly, one eye stained black, one cheek stained blue.

My fingers brushed over a cut on her lip, half expecting to feel some great spark. Something... anything.

I felt nothing.
She wasn't mine, however much I wished that she was.

Though somehow the nothingness that I felt drew me in more than any spark or warmth could ever... it was the nothingness that made me so desperate to discover just how I could make myself feel.

I didn't need spark to love when my love had already been ignited by a single glance.

I bent down, placing a lingering kiss on the unmarred skin of her forehead. Her hair was just as smooth as I remembered and she was just as beautiful as ever, even in such a weakened state.

Silly little girl.
How did she ever think that she would win against an Alpha. She had been strong all her life, surrounded by humans. But now, in the lycanthrope world she didn't realise that everyone around her had the same powers.

In this world she was no longer viewed as special or gifted in her strength. Only insane, a sickness if he mind. Her only weakness.

My fingers found their way to the contours of her face, her high cheekbones, her plump lips, her small nose. She had filled out since I had last seen her. She was no longer the skinny little girl, now she was a woman.

Beautiful and-

"What are you doing in here?" Hades growled.

***
Anyways...
Don't forget to vote and comment!
-🍟