FIFTEEN|HERE

"Mummy, why's that she-wolf tied up like that?" The little girl asked, her bright pink dress swaying slightly in the early morning breeze

"Because the Alpha ordered it." Her mother replied wistfully, as if distracted by another mundane task, as she dragged the young girl behind her, who's curious gaze was fixed firmly upon me.

"Come along Dalia." Her mother snapped, pulling her swiftly into the confines and safety of the pack house.
-away from a monster like me.

That encounter stuck in my head, the mothers blissful ignorance, the child's unfazed curiosity.

'Because the Alpha ordered it.'

That's what sickened me the most.
What ever he said goes, if he ordered my execution, his pack warriors wouldn't falter nor hesitate to spill my blood.

He could order the slaughter of an infant , and the warriors would have no choice but to obey.

Though I had never witnessed the Alpha being cruel to his pack members, he treated them all with dignity and respect.

How could he treat his members like that, but commit such atrocities against his own mate?

He was disgraceful in my eyes.
Or was it me that was the disgrace.
- I could see it in his eyes every time he placed the bowl of food in front of me, his brown orbs just begging me to submit to his reign.

Never.

I could never give in.

The little girls face stuck in my mind, her slight blond curls and flushed red cheeks that were swollen with a smile that only pure ignorant innocence could fully achieve.

But innocence never lasted,
It had to break at sometime,
Fallen and crushed like the last autumn leaves.

All good things must come to an end.
It was just a matter of time.

***

I had left my room for the first time in days, my wolf was going restless, I could feel her hunger deep within me.
The gentle sway of the pond water, my bare toes skimming against the cool surface, mixed with the distant chirp of the birds that flew overhead of the empty pack grounds.
Where was everybody?
But what broke the peacefulness silence, was a scream.

A scream that echoed through the pack grounds, shaking ever fibre of my being.

I snapped my head towards the source of the sound, the woods. The tall looming trees like guarded teeth to the darkness and uncertainty that lay beyond their gates.

A second scream rang out, more shrill and desperate then the last, triggering something deep inside me.
I had never been one to help others, I was selfish... but something about that scream had me in my feet and running towards the woods as fast as my legs could carry me.
I didn't bother to process the fact that I held no weapon, only my wolf could protect me from the dangers of the woods.

My feet rhythmically pounding against the freshly fallen Autumn leaves, the only sound being my heart thudding loudly in my ears and the trees rustling in the wind.
Split seconds of sunlight disappearing as the trees thickened blocking out all light until only darkness remained.

My running came to an abrupt halt as I spotted a figure in the clearing... a hunched over figure shrouded in the shadows. I could only see that back of the creatures head, a mane of vivid red hair.
It shook and quivered, in obvious pain, small mules of pain echoing through the trees.

I stayed silent and watching as I noticed the large pool of blood gathering at the creatures feet, staining the earth around it, and the creature continued to whimpering agony, its pale hands fisting the ground.

The creature turned, its face exposed. The Wild green eyes, angular features, and almost malnourished and dead look, her face was deathly pale and her long red hair cascaded down her shoulder in a thick mess matted with congealed blood and foliage.

I knew this girl, I could feel it.
She couldn't be?...

Her usual polished, pristine appearance contorted to a hideous almost monstrous core, her inner beast exposed, the monster she really was.

My gaze dropped to the pooled blood once more, and then up to its flowing source, a gaping wound on her thigh, the white of her bone exposed through the ripped flesh.
Her hind was lame.

She knew there was no coming back from a wound like this, and so did I.

As our eyes locked glances, a pleading with look flashed across her face as she lowed her body closer to the ground in submission.

It was then I saw small form sprawled on the ground behind her.

A young girl, no older than the older of eight, her once pretty bowed dress was now tattered and torn, fresh blood tampering with the dresses original colour, turning it a menacing shade of scarlet.

Had the beast in front of me killed this innocent child?

I didn't hesitate to find out an answer, my wolf was pounding at the edges of my mind, begging to be released so that she could tear the beastly woman apart.

I couldn't control her anger, her rage bursting at the seams of my mind, forcing me back into my subconscious and her to the forefront, taking control of my body.
Her actions overpowering my own.

I could feel a blackout coming on.
I gripped at what little control I had left, I could not loose control, not here, not now.
A blackout and loss of control to my wolf always ended in death.
She saw me, and I saw her.
She knew I was here, waiting...
Just waiting for the opportunity to strike.
My wolf hadn't been on a frenzy in so long, all her pent up anger screaming to be released by a kill.

Her true insanity arising.

My eyes didn't leave the redhead's as I shifted from skin to fur, shredding my clothes in the process. But my wolf didn't care.

Her lips pulled back in a snarl, raised on her haunches in preparation to attack.

My wolfs anger blurring my vision and making my head spin into darkness.

***

My head throbbed with ache as I slowly raised myself from the forest floor, my body was bare and littered with cuts and scratches.

What happened?

Only small slithers of memory remained from last night.

The redhead and the child.
My wolfs anger.
And blood, so much blood...

***
Anyways...
Don't forget to vote and comment!
-🍟