Chap 16: Call

Jeno's POV

[ 9a.m ]

This is it. The last day of the bet.
I want to ask him so badly what his answer is. Did he fall in love with me or did he not?
Where even is he?

Jaemin said that he had to go out for a while to figure something out, so maybe he'll return back soon. I paced around back and forth towards the bathroom and back to Jaemin's bed until he returned. His face was pale and his eyes seemed lifeless.

What happened?

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Jeno.. about the bet.."

"Yeah?"

"I didn't fall in love with you."

It felt as though my heart stopped beating for a moment. For the  most part, I thought he was going to accept my confession, although, I did have some doubts. I guess whatever I had done so far was not good enough.

"Oh.." My tone exposed my disappointment which I hoped he wasn't able to make out, but sure enough he answered my thoughts.

"I'm really sorry, but you don't have to do your part of the deal."

"No, a deal is a deal, I'll start packing my bags."

"You don't have to, I'll be leaving in 2 days, so you could continue to stay here." He looked down at his hands and started playing with them.

Was he nervous? Why?

My tears started prickling my eyes as my heart felt like it was shattered into a million pieces.
This must be my first heartbreak.
Feels pretty shit.

"It's okay, things don't always go my way. You don't have to force yourself to accept my feelings." I spoke, observing the floor as if it was the most interesting thing I had ever seen.

When my eyes met back with his, I saw his tears pouring out as he fell into my embrace. Could have been the act of his pity towards my hopeless feelings.

What am I missing?
Am I really not good enough?

"Why are you leaving, anyways?" I asked, trying to distract myself from the pain I felt.

"I'm going back home. I don't like living here."

A lump formed in my throat as I felt all the things I've done and all the feelings I've accumulated the past few days were for nothing.

"Oh, okay. I'll be heading out for a while."

I didn't want him to see me cry. Not when he wouldn't be able to return back the feelings.

"Okay.." His voice was shaking, as if he was trying to beg me to not go. That made me hopeful. But, that hope soon died when the thought of him only sympathising with me came into my mind.

I really don't get it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaemin's POV

[ 8a.m ]

How do I confess?

A warm, fuzzy feeling would form in my stomach every time I would think of Jeno. I was walking around the rooftop garden as I thought of ways of telling him.

Maybe I could buy him a gift? Where, though? I haven't even gone out the school area once since I arrived, so I have no idea where the malls even are.

Of course, I fell for him.

Ring ring

Who is calling me this early?

"Hello?"

"Jaeminnie! We- Honey, are you okay?"

"Oh, mom. Yeah, I'm fine. How's everyone?"

"No, honey, I didn't mean it that way. Your cousin.. he showed us a video.."

"A video?"

"I'm so sorry, honey, we shouldn't have joined you in that school. We'll withdraw you from there as soon as possible, okay, dear?"

"Mom, no-"

"I have really failed as a mother to protect you, I know. It's all my fault." Her loud sobs could be heard from the other end, making me feel shit for making her go through this.

"Mom, it's o-"

"Don't worry, honey, Dad is going to take a flight tomorrow and pick you up in 2 days. We'll make sure to file a complain against the people who did this to you."

Oh, that video. They did see it.

"M-"

"Jaemin, promise me something."

"Huh?"

"Just promise me you will be able to protect yourself from those animals for the next 2 days. We're really bad parents for letting you join that school, oh my poor baby, we're so sorry." She continued to sob, to which I had no idea how to respond to.

My mind quickly drifted to how Jeno had been protecting me for the past few days when I felt too weak to do it myself. A smile had unconsciously formed across my lips as I thought of him, the thought quickly being brushed off as I realised that I will have to leave him.

I can't accept his feelings, he has to forget me and move on.

"Jaemin, honey, are you still there? I'll call you back again tonight. Take care, we love you, okay?"

".. Love you too, bye."

My arms fell to my sides as I slowly made my way down the stairs.

I don't want to reject him.
I don't want to leave.

---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading ❤❤❤❤❤