Chapter 29 -- I hope to get mugged

Start from the beginning

I want to interject that I would have believed her had she told me sooner, but that would be a lie.

"I figured since you didn't like me, it would make you extremely mad to see that I was the girl Mickey was cheating on you with. I just had to make it a public matter. And then you would break up with him and finally focus on taking down Red Raven."

After blinking so many times, I start seeing stars. Did she just say what I think she said? She wanted me to take down Red Raven?

I shake my head, "So you were on my side?"

Sophia does a one-shoulder shrug. "Still am. Why else would I invite you here and explain my whole backstory?"

Leaning forward, I remind her, "That's what every villain does in the movies."

She looks me dead in the eyes and rubs her chin, a nervous chuckle escaping her lips. "Guess it's hard to break the act sometimes."

It honestly doesn't matter to me at this point if she's a villain or hero. She's telling me her backstory and giving me accurate information. Which brings me to ask, "What do you know about my powers going away? Why haven't they just disappeared altogether? What's causing it? Is it permanent?"

Her mouth twitches, a frown pulling at the corner of her lips. "I'm sorry, Della. I don't know too much about the logistics of it. I just know the Red Ravens kept talking about your powers being taken away. Owen knew about it, he had to. But I don't know the exact details." She takes a shaky breath. "But I'm here to help you figure it all out."

"Good," I wipe away all signs of my disappointment. I expected too many answers from her. Lazily, I relax into the couch again. "Because you're going to do exactly that."

"What do you mean?"

She can't see the smirk forming, but there's a plan forming in my head. For the first time, I know my next move.

"We're on a mission tomorrow. Get ready to break down some doors and get some matching scars with me." My eyes close and I'm about to drift off to sleep knowing tomorrow will be a good day with or without someone else's help.

I hear Sophia mutter, "You better at least let me have seven full hours of sleep." Her footsteps are heavy as she trudges up the steps like a child.

Believe me, I need more than seven hours.

***

"Della! Della wake up!" Sophia hissing in my face is not my ideal way to be awakened.

"What?" I turn over to see panic in her eyes.

"My parents are about to go to work, they can't see you on the couch, they'll ask too many questions."

I roll my eyes, "Oh no, we can't have them asking about my well being."

She slaps my arm. I'm going to back-hand her. "Shut up! Come on!"

I'm not even going to ask what time it is. It's still dark outside. There's a slight chance I got a little more than three hours of sleep. It's a new personal best.

Sophia runs up the steps and opens the door to her room. I trudge along each carpeted step, slowing my pace with each step. It's like I'm wearing cement shoes. Once I reach her room, my eyes land on her super suit lying across her light blue sheets. I've never really taken notice of Night Haze's super suit, but now that I get an up-close view of it, I see how much of a masterpiece it is.

The emerald green mask shines with sparkles, and sparkles are a signature accessory of Sophia's wardrobe. The suit itself is black with green accents around the waist, sleeve cuffs, and low-cut neckline. She has a black choker necklace as well as black lipstick set beside her mask.