Chapter 25 -- I've seen crazier

Perception insisted that he and Gavin carry me into the house, but I don't trust Gavin to carry me and I just don't trust Perception period. It took a lot of energy, but I managed to get out of the car and climb the marble steps myself. I look back at the car, and still don't recognize the black Chevy Cruze. Who is Perception? 

Once inside, my uncle immediately clears his paper work off of the couch so I can collapse. At least it wasn't his welcome mat.

Uncle Travis grabs Gavin's wrist without saying a word and takes him into another room. I'd eavesdrop if I could get up without fainting. I'm sure Uncle Travis has to be worried for Gavin's sake for fear of the police barging down their door. What I'm more interested in hearing is how Uncle Travis will explain Gavin's powers. Would he have that conversation without his wife being included?

"Are you sure you don't want me to stick around?" Perception asks as I slowly sink into the couch. He twiddles his thumbs in circles as he looks me in the eyes. I don't know who he is, but he has no business in being here.

"I'm sure. You need to go." Whoever this guy is under the mask, I am not falling for any of his traps. I don't care if he said he has feelings for me, that is not my focus right now.

My hair is my concern.

With all of my fainting spells and physical limitations, I thought I was just suffering from my self diagnosed concussion. Now that my hair is changing too, I have a bad feeling about what's actually going on.

"Okay. I'll see you around." Perception scratches the back of his head and makes his way to the door. Once he leaves, Uncle Travis' office door bursts open.

"Okay," Uncle Travis claps his hands together, drawing my attention to him. Gavin walks down the hallway, I assume to his room. "I called your mom."

Is he talking to me? Please say no. I don't want to talk to her about my powers right now. I shut my eyes to avoid making eye contact.

"Della?" Uncle Travis' burly voice makes it's way to my ears.

"I can't talk to my mom." I blurt out, hoping this is an issue that will go away. My eyes slowly open to see his reaction.

"Well, then... Don't talk. But she knows more about super powers than I do, and she's here to help the both of you. So, like it or not, it's time to be an adult and face your problems." Uncle Travis exits the room on that note.

All I can think about is the fact that I've been avoiding my mother so I could run off and find myself, and now I literally can't run anymore. Why is she coming to help me when I've avoided her for so long? Who wants that kind of relationship with their daughter?

I've messed up big time.

***

The door bell rings and I jump at the sound. She's here. I mentally prepare myself for the lecture to come as soon as she steps over the threshold. Uncle Travis opens the door.

My mom looks like she hasn't slept in days, with the evident bags under her eyes. Her hair is tied back in a tiny bun and I have never seen my mom wear sweatpants and a t-shirt.

"Hey, Audrey." My uncle sighs, like he didn't ever want to see her at his house again.

My mom chuckles, "Someone's happy to see their older sister." She pushes past him in the doorway. Is this lady really my mom? "So why'd you decide to call me over?" My uncle runs a hand through his hair.

"Della found out about Gavin's adoption. She came and found me. Um... She's actually here now... That's why I called you." From my spot on the couch, I adjust myself to sit up. My mom turns to face the living room from the open corridor and I watch her eyes go wide.