Chapter 8 -- I'm sorry porkers

Sitting in a run down apartment was not my ideal way of spending my Sunday night. I watched the clock slowly tick into the early morning. Drake and Owen were diligently plotting their plans to find Mickey's birth mother.

It occurred to me that I had only been around Owen and the Undergrounds for two days, and I already knew that Owen didn't belong down there. If I could put pieces together that fast, why didn't his father? Were villain parents oblivious to their children?

Where were my parents?

Technically, I'm free to come and go as I please at the moment. Maybe I could rush to my house and explain everything that was going on. I could let them see I'm alright.

"Della?" Owen calls me over to the small coffee table. I walk over to the brown leather couch and take the end spot, where I don't have to sit beside Drake. My hands fold together as I place them on top of my crossed legs. I'm trying to be as poised as possible in gym shorts and a t-shirt.

Seriously, I was going to demand a shower after this meeting. Some fresh clothes would be nice too.

"We need you to visit Mickey in jail." Owen's words slice through me. Whoa, I can't do that. He may not have powers anymore but he was surely still dangerous. They don't put just anyone in jail.

"Why?" I try to say assertively. My voice is choked. What am I getting myself into?

"Because you can turn invisible and get past the guards, duh." Drake leans over Owen to belittle me. Classic Drake, making people feel inferior.

"Well what am I supposed to say to him when I see him?" I throw back.

"Nothing," Owen puts his hands to the side to keep Drake and I from fighting, "You won't have to confront him. You're just getting us a DNA sample."

"You know how to test DNA?" I ask, bewildered. Owen shrugs and turns to Drake, "You have to go with her. I have a meeting with the board tomorrow."

Before Drake can object, I insert my rejection, "Ha ha, no. I can wait for you. I don't trust this guy as far as I can throw him."

Drake squints in my direction, "Well you're not my cup of tea either, sunshine, but what Owen says goes." Just hearing Drake's obnoxious voice sends shivers down my spine.

"No, you're right, Della. You can do this on your own. I need you to make sure you know the password to the key pad and what cell to find Mickey in. Now, since they're in a secluded area of the jail, you'll have to go through the laser beams that detect motion-"

I throw my hands up with my eyes closed, "Fine. I get it. Drake needs to go with me." I open my eyes to find them both smirking at each other.

I can't believe this is happening.

***

"Della! Hurry up! We don't have all day!" Owen beats on the bathroom door. Apparently the back room of his hideout was his own secret living space. He had a room and bathroom and the kitchen was in the front.

"You took two days away from me, I think I deserve at least a 20 minute shower!" I holler back at him. I hear his footsteps storm off. He made me get up at five this morning so we could get ready without the Underground members coming in to hang out. We literally had all day.

Owen's plan was to take me to get some things to wear before the board meeting today. I asked if I could go by my house. He told me if I were to go home, they wouldn't let me leave again and they wouldn't understand what we were doing. As much as I wanted to plead with him, I didn't have much energy to protest at the crack of dawn.