Chapter 4 -- I slept through it

No matter how much he denied it, no matter how many times he professed he was Trident, I couldn't shake my smirk. I caught him. Owen wasn't a villain. Not a real one anyways.

"So what exactly is your power, Trident? I feel like we might have the invisibility thing in common."

Owen's cheeks redden, showing how flustered he is. His cheeks puff out as he releases his anger with a deep breath.

"Why would you assume invisibility?" He inquires.

"Because I saw right through you." I laugh at my own joke, pathetic, I know. Owen closes his eyes, trying to reason with a girl on the brink of insanity.

Suddenly he grabs my arm and makes me sit on another park bench. This one is painted a dark blue color, but the paint is chipping. The small group of civilians around us have started to mind their own business for a change.

"Look, just because I don't know why your hair is white doesn't mean I'm not a villain." He tries to explain to me.

"Yes it does." I confirm, "If you were really part of The Undergrounds, you'd know exactly why."

Owen's shoulders slump down, "You think Red Raven is associated with The Undergrounds?"

Well, that was implied, was it not? I stole Red Raven's files and was placed in The Undergrounds. Is there any other reason for me to be locked in a lounge with villains? Good grief, why does everything have to be so complicated?

"We protect villains' identities, but it doesn't necessarily mean we personally care for the actual villain." Owen elblaborates based on my confused expression.

"So you're saying you don't support villains, you're just in the business of protecting them? Then why do all of those villains hang out in The Undergrounds?" I ask, baffled. Then I add, "Oh, I get it now. You don't support villains but The Undergrounds do. It all makes sense now." I try to poke fun of him, but my accusation seems to make him angrier.

Owen shakes his head with a wave of his hands, "Okay, I've had enough of these head games myself. So I'm going to take you back to your cell and I'm going to explain some things to you."

"Right. Like why you're not a villain." I add nonchalantly with a shrug of my shoulders. He opens his mouth to object, but realizes I'm not worth his time.

Owen hops to his feet and begins to lead me back to the hotel. I'm not scared of him anymore. I just want to know why everything is out of proportion. Why am I being punished by The Undergrounds if they don't associate with Red Raven?

This would be so much easier to understand if I had Mason here to guide me through every step. He would know exactly how to coax information out of the villains. Even Ash would be able to track people down and would communicate in some way to me how to disable my handcuffs.

Most of all, I needed Jonas right now. Not for his ability to read minds, but just for being himself. I needed his encouraging words, his goofy demeanor, or just a simple kiss to keep me going. A kiss from Jonas was more electrifying than a lightning strike.

Absentmindedly, I reached up to grab onto the necklace he had given me. Owen took my Fitbit, but he left the lightning bolt charm hanging from my neck. Thank you, I think to myself. I would lose my mind if I didn't have some connection to my best friends.

Unless Jonas put a chip in this necklace, however, there wasn't much use I could get out of this trinket. I sigh aloud, forgetting that Owen was walking in front of me. Why can't I have one day of rest?

Oh yeah, that day was yesterday. I slept through it.

As we pass by a store with televisions in the window, I slow down to observe the news. My name may not be the topic they're currently on, but I'm listed below as one of the topics coming up.