20. Summer ball

I sit still looking in my mirror as Caroline carefully pins my long hair to keep it in place. I've gone for a side braid leading into a low messy bun. She's done good on my make up too. I decided to go for nudes and browns so my dress stands out.

"There we go. Beautiful" She stands back and admires her work.

I nod in agreement I look good and I feel so confident and all nerves about me waking into the ball on my own is gone.

"Thank you so much" I beam.

I stand up ready to get dressed thankfully I can pull on my dress without pulling it down over my head messing up her hard work.

"Oh Caroline she looks stunning" my mum walks into the room. She smiles at me and then at Caroline who is packing her things up into her beauty case.

"Oh she never needed too much work she's a beautiful girl already" she smiles as she's packing away.

I flush a nice pink colour at their comments.

My mum pays Caroline and sees her out the house and comes back to join me in the bedroom to help me get my dress on.

She zips up the back and we stand together in the mirror and look at myself. I slide my heels on and I'm now as tall as my mum. Both my mum and dad are tall so I don't know why I'm graced with such a short height.

We walk downstairs and my dad is in the front room watching the football. He kept out the way while we were busy doing girlie stuff.

I walk in and stand there waiting for my dad to turn around. My mum coughs to distract his attention from the football and he turns around and his mouth falls open he pauses the tv and stands up.

"You look absolutely beautiful, kiddo" he walks towards me and holds me in his arms. "Absolutely beautiful" he repeats.

"Dad" I laugh and struggle to get out of his arms incase his messes up my hair.

He pulls his phone out and shakes it indicating picture time. I roll my eyes and stand next to mum and we have a few photos before my mum takes the phone and takes some of me and dad. Then a couple on my own.

"Oh I'd love one of us all" she frowns. I roll my eyes and hold out my hand and take the phone.

"Ok all squeeze in" I say as we take a selfie. It's a rare photo of us all together.

"Ok now a funny face one!" I laugh and I stick my tongue out to the side and cross my eyes and my dad and mum follow suit with funny faces. I turn the phone around and look back through the photos and delete the ones I look bloody awful in before my mum can snatch the phone away.

"Oi I like them!" She whines and makes sure I haven't deleted all of them.

We have a glass of wine to toast the summer ball and then my mum and I leave to drive to school. We get there and I see loads of cars with couples getting out together smiling in there cute sickly couples and friends.

My mum looks over at me sadly and I say nothing. I don't care I'm going to have fun either way I don't need to be coupled up with anyone to enjoy this night. Well of course Harry being here with me would be the icing on the cake but he isn't. I know I'll be looking forward to seeing him after and excited to take the next step with him whatever that consists of.

I wave my mum off and head into the school hall. It's beautifully dressed in fairy lights and drapes it reminds me of our midsummers night ball that we had at my old school last year. The DJ is playing the latest hits and already people are dancing. I'm going to need to be extra strong to go and dance on my own I thought. I head over to the bar and get myself a Diet Coke although I could really do with some alcohol being added.