44. This is it.

This chapter is 24 hours before the last chapter 😘

It's been an hour and a half into our drive back home. Aaron has been silent allowing me to speak in my own time. I listen to the radio and unexpectedly the news comes on.

"It's been nearly one week since the fatal road accident claimed two lives. We are now able to identify these two people as Jack and Anne Hayes. They've left behind a eighteen year old daughter. The accident happened on the A12 in the late afternoon when a lorry driver fell asleep at the wheel. He will appear in court on the fourth of September being charged with death by dangerous driving" Aaron reaches the button to turn the radio off but I put my hand up to say leave it. "Jack was a highly respected surgeon at great Ormond street hospital and a statement has now been released from the hospital "it's with great sadness we learnt of the passing of Doctor Jack Hayes. He has been a valued member of staff for twenty years and not only will he be missed as one of our best surgeons. He will be missed as a friend. We will all remember him and his passion and drive doing something he loved. We wish his daughter, family and friends our sincere condolences" It has been said that the funeral will be taking place in London with details to follow for anyone wishing to attend. It's apparent that Jack has touched many lives and families through his work. His wife Anne also has made a career in helping others she's been practicing midwifery for twenty years and is a senior midwife at her local hospital. The head of the NHS had a few words to say at a gala yesterday evening. "I would like to take a moment to honour two fellow NHS workers. You may have heard we lost Anne and Jack Hayes. We've lost two passionate and dedicated individuals from our work family. I wish their Family and friends the peace they need to greave. I also want to send special well wishes to Holly who some of you have had the pleasure to meet on a number of occasions and even help Anne in bringing her into the world." Flowers, balloons and cards have been left at the scene.We will keep you up to date with any information we get. We here at radio one are thinking of all friends and family. Next up is the weather with Joanne.

I feel Aaron's hand on my leg and he gives it a comforting squeeze.

"They both saved many lives but theirs couldn't" I pick at my nails which are now non existent to the consent picking over the last few days.

"Life's not fair Holly. In fact it fucking sucks." Aaron takes his hand away to change gear.

"I feel so empty. I felt lonely before but this is a new level of loneliness" I rest my head on the window and watched the scenery pass by.

***

We pull up to our house. Aaron turns the car off and we sit for a moment while I look up at the house. And all my memories come flooding back to me. I look at Aaron and nod we get out the car and I open the door and walk in. It's just how I left it even the porch light is still on. I reach up and switch it off and walk into the kitchen. There is a glass of water on the table. The one PC Gates made me after I heard the news. I pick it up and hold it in my hand it's still has water in it where i was too sick to drink it.

I hold it tight so tight I feel I might just break it. Shatter it in my hands. I look towards the sink where a small pile of washing up needs doing I'll have to add this to the collection. The dishwasher is full and needs emptying.

I scream and throw the glass towards the sink and watch it shattered into a thousand pieces all over the kitchen work top. The water splashes up against the wall and on the floor.

"Calm down. It's ok. It's ok"
I hear Aaron running over to me and pulls me into a tight embrace. He hushes into my ear and hold him for what feels like hours.

"Come on. Get what you need for now and we will go. We can come back when you feel up to it. I think it's too soon now" he pulls away and brushes a few strands of hair behind my ear. I snuggle and compose myself.

Can you love a ghost? // H.S✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें