Chapter 8: Confrontations on the Street

Fowler had refused to let Connor leave early, he told him that he needed these reports filed as soon as possible in order to move further with the case. Connor understood.

Gavin had hung around for the rest of the afternoon, having a friendly back and forth with Connor.

"You're gettin' a bit friendly with this piece of plastic, aren't ya Reed?" an officer mocked as he walked past.

Gavin glared at him before shaking his, "N-No, Jayden. I... I'm just pressuring this asshole to hurry up, you know? Fowler will have my head if this shit isn't done soon."

Connor tried to focus on his computer screen instead of the conversation Gavin was having with the Officer Jayden.

Jayden chuckled, "Yeah... Captain's been on edge lately, suprised he hasn't kicked us all out." he then glared at Connor, "Fuckin' plastic. They're all takin' our jobs. Won't be long now til every damn officer and detective is replaced by a damn machine."

Gavin bit his tongue.

Defend Connor.

Don't defend Connor.

He gulped hard, he was definitely going to have to apologise for this later, "Yeah, I get what you mean." he agreed with Jayden, "Think they're better than us but truthfully... They're just a bunch of obedient dipshits who are nothing without a master to tell 'em what to do."

Connor's had returned to blue throughout the day but now... Red. Again. His eyes still remained on the screen. But the hand that was around his empty mug was getting tighter.

"Exactly my point. Care to join me for a coffee, Reed?" Jayden asked, "Can't have that plastic asshole convert you to his side."

"Would never dream of it." Gavin chuckled, standing up from Connor's desk and walking with Jayden towards the break room.

The android quickly retracted his hand from the mug once a crack had appeared in it.

Connor quickly wiped an artificial tear away from his eye. He was getting angry at himself for letting shit like this get to him.

He blamed himself.

He typed fast. Extremely fast. He just wanted to get out of this station as soon as possible and go for a walk to calm himself down.

At the rate he was typing, he had deduced that he would be finished with these reports in exactly 25 seconds.

He hit send as soon as he was done, Fowler immediately recieving the report.

Connor got to his feet and walked quickly towards the exit. His feet failed him as he picked up on the conversation in the break room.

He wanted to leave... But he couldn't. He leaned against the wall and listened.

"Some would even say that you were fuckin' the android." Jayden laughed.

Gavin groaned, "What the fuck, Jayden? That's fucked up! Who would wanna sleep with a damn machine when you can sleep with a real life person? And besides... I met a erm... a girl a few weeks ago. Really hittin' it off."

Ouch. Connor's heart almost broke. He couldn't even tell if Gavin was lying or not and now a whole load of other thoughts were flooding through his mind.

"Ha..." Jayden said, "Bet that fuckin' machine thinks you two are friends, huh?"

"Not even fuckin' close." Gavin replied, "Could never like nor love a piece of plastic like them."

Connor really hated Gavin right now. He's never hated anyone so much before.

He turned and left the station, before taking out his phone and ringing the only person he could trust.