Going Into Labor

We cuddle together and discuss when they would meet with Megan, my midwife, so we could make the arrangements. 

A few days later, Alan and I had a meeting with Megan and Alyssa, they were coming over for lunch so they could evaluate the space. When they arrived, they also met Amy, the doula that she selected to assist her during the birth. (A.N.: A doula is someone who accompanies a woman in labor, mothers the mother and father, taking care of their emotional needs throughout childbirth and afterwards. A doula also provides support and suggestions for partners that can enhance their experiences of birth.) Over lunch, they discussed how to set up the flat so everything would be ready whenever I went into labor. Some of the keys that they suggested was to set up the space so I felt safe and comforted as well as there being enough space for them to work. 

"We would love to birth in our bedroom but also like to use our living room and to have two rooms available. Would that be fine. I asked. 

"That would be fine. We have a heater that we can add to keep the pool warm for both pools if you are going back and forth. Megan said. I said ok.

Alan and I looked at each other, not sure if they should say anything, they both knew how to take care of that but they weren't sure if they wanted to reveal that information. Megan squeezed my hand and looked into my eyes and smiled before turning back to the midwife.

"Amy, I can take care of that issue, it won't be a problem, I will make sure of it." Amy nodded in complete understanding then continued. 

"When Morgan's contractions start, call us first. Then fill the pool with warm water. When she's ready, sometime after her water breaks, she will want to get into the pool. This will help support her body as the contractions intensifies and Alan, they will get pretty bad. Are you going to be able to handle that? She's going to need you to be really strong for her. It is true this will be easier on her body but it will by no means be easy." 

"Yes, I can do it. Don't get me wrong, I'm nervous, but I know I can do it." His voice was confident and the love in is eyes warmed Amy's heart. There was nothing she loved more than eager dads-to-be. They were so adorable. They finished lunch; the women took some notes about the space before examining me. Then they finished; Megan and Alyssa left but Amy stayed to speak to the couple.

When I found the doula training, it was a perfect fit. I will be able comfort Morgan, support her in anything she needs. 

Alan had a concerned look on his face. "But what about me? What am I supposed to do?" Amy squeezed his hand. 

"Alan, your job is to be there for Morgan, mind, body and soul. If she needs to lean on her, physically, then you can climb in the pool with her. Do whatever you do and have been doing all along to comfort her. My job is to provide comfort for both of you, to set the scene, so to speak. Everything from the lighting to the room temperature to the music thats playing all contributes to the birthing experience. I help to facilitate that, making it as perfect as possible for the two of you. The nicest thing about my relationship with Megan and Alyssa is that we work extremely well together and we are very familiar with each others practices. This makes it much more comfortable for the two of you. "

He swallowed harder than he was expecting and blinked a bit as his cheeks turned a bit pink. "What is it babe?" I turned to him then she looked away and started to blush as well. "Ok, you two, is someone gonna clue me in?" I cleared my  throat and let out a slow breath.

"Sorry, Amy. We just never expected to be telling anyone this; it's a bit embarrassing for us but now, I guess it would be best to tell you so we know if it's ok or not. My cheeks were scarlet and my voice was shaky as I spoke. 

When I started getting bigger and I started having severe back pain, I started taking a lot of warm baths. Alan would take them with me. We began a little ritual he would massage my back to help loosen up the muscles and to ease my discomfort." She paused then looked down. Amy took Morgan's hand, squeezing it, gently.