Chapter 33 | THE SHADED PAST OF AMRAH

Start from the beginning

"No grandpa. That's cheating" cried Ayoub, poking a finger at Malik accusing. He hurriedly close his mouth with his palm giving Lina a lopsided grin.

"Cheating about what?"

"He cheated. He promised he won't tell you but now he is trying to"

"Grandpa's cheating" Lina joked, poking a finger too at Malik's forearm.

"You tell her, let me get you your promised sweets" said Malik to Ayoub getting up from his seat.

"Double it" Lina said with a grin "I'm here"

"You know what Khaltu?" Ayoub asked the moment Malik rounded the corner to the elevator. "I'm starting nursery school!" He exclaimed, chirruped.

"Wow! When?"

"Uhm next..Uhm. What is it's name? I dunno" he huffed.

"Next session?" His face lit up, nodding his head concurrently.

"That's it!"

"Let's go inside. What have you gotten for now?"

"Mama bought me my school bag, launch box, pencils..." That's how they entered the hospital room of Ms Amrah with Ayoub saying out numerous items of what his mother bought for him.

Both Labiba and Ms Rayn were in, trying to cheer Ms Amrah up and keep her company. The previous night when Ms Rayn was beside her bed saying her tasbeeh, she heard some little blabbing, when she turned she found Ms Amrah trying to open her eyes. She gasped in excitement, hurried out and informed the nurse. When they came back together with the doctor, her eyes were fully open but still she wasn't fully back to consciousness.

The doctor, with the help of the nurse examined her, her heart monitor, the cannula and removed the oxygen machine. He assured Ms Rayn that she's finally awake. After he left, she moved closer to Ms Amrah and what surprised her the most was that, silently, she was calling Lina's name, seeking for her attention.

When she heard it almost four times, making sure that she was right, she dialed Labiba's number and informed her and that was how Labiba too called Lina and informed her about the current condition.

She sat on the bed, her pillow supporting her back, with a tray containing an oat bowl, a cuppa and a plate of sandwiches while she holds a bowl of vegetable soup with her left hand, eating from it with her right.

The moment her eyes landed on the figure standing by the door frame with utter surprise, she placed the bowl back on the tray, passed it to Labiba and opened her right hand, welcoming Lina into a hug, making sure that her broken arm was out of the way. Her neck has healed but still she feels pain whenever she turns her head but to her left arm, it hasn't.

For a moment she didn't hesitate, she accepted it. She hugged her with all the emotions she could. She missed her so much.

"You're finally awake Ms Amrah" she said between hugs, a joyful tear slipping from her eye.

"I am!"

"I just can't believe it. You've been here for weeks, unconscious for that matter. Ya Allah! How are you feeling?" She sat back beside her on the bed.

"Alhamdulillah Lina. Just feeling a little dizzy up here" she motioned towards her head, which is securely wrapped.

"In Shaa Allah it'll heal, with time" she assured her. Turning to Ms Rayn and Labiba, she both hugged them. It was the first time she saw Labiba after she came back. All the time she visited Ms Amrah, she wasn't around. Only for Ms Rayn.

☆☆☆

At Zuhr, after Labiba, Ayoub had left and Ms Rayn too has gone home with Malik to prepare their launch, Lina was left alone with Ms Amrah.