16: This is it.

Chapter 16 : This is it.

It's the big moment. The life changing moment. It's Happening.

This is it, I thought as I shut my eyes tightly and heaved a breathe.

No, this wasn't the big it.

This was the I'm-finally-going-to-read-the-Quran it.

Gently and carefully, I flipped to the first page.

..... The Opening (Al-Fatiha)

¹. In the name of Allah (God) , the Gracious , The Merciful.

². Praise be to Allah (God) , Lord of the worlds.

³. The most Gracious , the most Merciful.

⁴. Master of the Day of Judgement .

5. It is You we worship , and upon You we call for help.

6. Guide us to the straight path.

7. The path of those You have blessed , not of those against whom there is anger , nor of those who are misguided.

********************

"Yes oh my God I was so embarrassed..." She pursed her lips , "It was so stressful I felt like all my hair was turning white..!"

More like your HIJAB turned white, I thought, chuckling to myself slightly.

To everyone who just so happens to be curious enough about my life to wonder what was going on: Sarah was talking to someone on the phone and I was having fun third-wheeling the conversation.

I mean, I wouldn't be Adam White if I didn't use every chance I got to learn more about Sarah Salehs life.

"... Listen , I don't want to talk about this now. " Her jaw clenched slightly, and she furrowed her eyebrows. "Yeah... I'll see you later?"

Hm, Something she doesn't want to talk about? Sounds interesting.

"Bye."

"Touchy subject? " I questioned, turning my chair to face her.

She arched an eyebrow, " Adam, I'm sure your parents taught you that eavesdropping isn't a very good thing to do, right? "

Right. She wasn't supposed to know I was listening.

I shrugged. It was one of number one rules in life: when in a tight spot, shrug .

"I'm sitting right next to you, I couldn't help but hear some." I smirked,  "Plus, I'm guessing someone shoved a microphone down your throat so you can't really blame me. "

She turned back to her papers and laughed quietly.

"So she changed the subject." I muttered.

"Not really Adam, I just don't feel like talking about it."  Her words were so quiet I barely heard her.

Jesus, she has a loud voice AND perfect hearing. She really wasn't meant to hear that.