11: Purely Awkward ELectrons

Chapter 11: Purely Awkward Electrons.

*Thanks to amaanahxwrites for the awesome cover!!

Saturdays are beautiful. They're my all-time favorites. I mean, that doesn't make me lazy or anything, it's just that they're EVERYONE'S favorite.

Unless you have a crush that goes to work or school with you; then you'd be dreading Saturdays more and more, and looking forward to Mondays more and more.

Back to our topic, Saturdays are awesome ; until someone decides to wake you up exceptionally early and ruin your sleep for you.

That's exactly what happened.

I was sleeping like every  other normal human being would be doing at 7:45 am on a Saturday morning.

Ding-dong ding-dong, the doorbell went off .

I jerked awake, thought I was hallucinating, and drifted right back to dream Land.

Ding-dong ding-dong , the doorbell persisted. 

I groaned and got up lazily, grabbing my phone in the process.

"Who's there...?" I said, my voice croaky and hoarse.

What? Not all of our morning voices were sexy and attractive!

"It's me, Adam." A panicky voice hissed back.

Me? Who exactly was this me ?

Ohh it's Amelia ... I thought. It was so tough for my head to register anything having left the bed two seconds ago.

I opened the door .

"Hello, Amelia. How can I help you?"

Meet Amelia, My neighbor. She's young married and has a 5 year old daughter who goes by the name of Rachel.

"Uh... listen Adam, hold her for a second... I ...my husband..." She paused, took a deep breath, then started all over again, "So my husband needs to go the ER. They're on their way and I can't take Rach...and I have to go with him so please if you can hold on to her for a second..."

She shoved the sleeping kid into my arms.

"Please. " She whispered.

"But..."

"It won't be for long, I promise!" She Said desperately.

"It's alright!" I said quickly, "Amelia, Rachel is on safe hands, you just go make sure that Jake is all good, okay?"

She nodded gravely.

"Don't panic. Everything is going to be okay."

"Thank you so much Adam... I don't know how to thank you. I pack a little bag for her just in case.." she gestured at a little pink backpack sitting at the doorstep.

Then she was skipping down the stairs; faster than ever.

I sighed.

It was going to be a long day.

______________________________________

"Rach! Don't do that!!" I hissed.

Why do kids love getting dirty?

"Why? I love pwaying in the mud!!" She pouted.

"You'll get dirty!"

"I'm already dirty. It won't matter if I get dirtier!!!"

My attempts at keeping her off the mud were futile. Wasn't the kid 5? Where'd she get that smart mouth from??

"Aren't you a girl?!" I asked jokingly.